Pirates acquire Jaff Decker from Padres, designate Garrett Jones for assignment

Nov 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT

Garrett Jones AP

Garrett Jones, who was a regular for the Pirates for four-plus seasons before losing his job to Justin Morneau down the stretch, has been designated for assignment.

Jones made $4.5 million this year and hit just .233 with 15 homers and a .708 OPS in 144 games, so at age 32 and with a similar salary due for 2014 via the arbitration process he was a likely non-tender candidate anyway.

With a .774 career OPS he should have no problem finding another gig, although it may involve a part-time/platoon role and will almost surely involve a cut in pay.

Pittsburgh needed Jones’ 40-man roster spot after acquiring outfielder Jaff Decker from the Padres. Decker’s prospect stock has plummeted in recent years, but he hit reasonably well at Triple-A as a 23-year-old and has always had excellent on-base percentage.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The usual cabal of rumor mongers did not see this one coming.

2. spudchukar - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Jaff Decker? Dump the first name, and tell everybody you go as Upper.

• ptfu - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker’s Twitter handle is @UpperDekker. I smell a fringe outfielder death match for the naming rights.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM

At first glance, I read “Jaff Decker” as “Derek Jeter” and thought this was a much bigger story.

4. stex52 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I was going to suggest him as an improvement over Brett Wallace for the Astros. But not so much, and Wallace is a lot cheaper.

5. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Here’s wishing Jonesee well. I didn’t like the Morneu pick up, at the time, which turned out to be a bust, felt they should have stayed with Jones and Sanchez at 1st.

6. steelers88 - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Stupid move for the Pirates. The Pirates trade their only power hitting 1B man in the organization for a LF which they DONT NEED and a SP.

7. raynman49 - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Jones to Mets. The blockbuster signing we’ve been promised! (sigh).

8. thepittsburghkid - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

He isn’t worth 5 million let alone 7 or 8. I can’t stand the Steeler fans who jumped on the Pirate bandwagon after the all star break last year and now they think they are baseball smart. I love hearing about how these are the same old Pirates because they didn’t sign anyone for 54 million. “We showed up, now spend the money as dumb as possible”. I hate people.

9. steelers88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Thepittsburghkid.
    By the way I’m NOT a bandwagon fan! I went to the games in 2010 when they were terrible! The post was not about money! I was just saying it was a bad trade by Hundington. He traded Alex Dickerson there only power hitting 1st baseman in the organization for a LF and a SP.

10. steelers88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I wasn’t talking about Jones. Im talking about Alex Dickerson. I’m thrilled Jones is gone he was terrible last year and he doesn’t deserve the 5 million.

11. eddiek77 - Dec 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I’m at a loss to understand the strategy down at 1st base. Morneau? No thanks. Jones? See ya. Sanchez? Really?
    And top this off with the trade of a promising young first baseman to San Diego?
    I just don’t believe the team is going to put Lambo down there. So, what’s the thinking? Cory Hart? I think 8 other teams are interested.
    Lance Berkman? Really?

All the trade deadline news to know