Pirates acquire Jaff Decker from Padres, designate Garrett Jones for assignment

Nov 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EST

Garrett Jones AP

Garrett Jones, who was a regular for the Pirates for four-plus seasons before losing his job to Justin Morneau down the stretch, has been designated for assignment.

Jones made $4.5 million this year and hit just .233 with 15 homers and a .708 OPS in 144 games, so at age 32 and with a similar salary due for 2014 via the arbitration process he was a likely non-tender candidate anyway.

With a .774 career OPS he should have no problem finding another gig, although it may involve a part-time/platoon role and will almost surely involve a cut in pay.

Pittsburgh needed Jones’ 40-man roster spot after acquiring outfielder Jaff Decker from the Padres. Decker’s prospect stock has plummeted in recent years, but he hit reasonably well at Triple-A as a 23-year-old and has always had excellent on-base percentage.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The usual cabal of rumor mongers did not see this one coming.

2. spudchukar - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Jaff Decker? Dump the first name, and tell everybody you go as Upper.

• ptfu - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Mets outfielder Matt den Dekker’s Twitter handle is @UpperDekker. I smell a fringe outfielder death match for the naming rights.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM

At first glance, I read “Jaff Decker” as “Derek Jeter” and thought this was a much bigger story.

4. stex52 - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I was going to suggest him as an improvement over Brett Wallace for the Astros. But not so much, and Wallace is a lot cheaper.

5. joewilliesshnoz - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Here’s wishing Jonesee well. I didn’t like the Morneu pick up, at the time, which turned out to be a bust, felt they should have stayed with Jones and Sanchez at 1st.

6. steelers88 - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Stupid move for the Pirates. The Pirates trade their only power hitting 1B man in the organization for a LF which they DONT NEED and a SP.

7. raynman49 - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Jones to Mets. The blockbuster signing we’ve been promised! (sigh).

8. thepittsburghkid - Nov 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

He isn’t worth 5 million let alone 7 or 8. I can’t stand the Steeler fans who jumped on the Pirate bandwagon after the all star break last year and now they think they are baseball smart. I love hearing about how these are the same old Pirates because they didn’t sign anyone for 54 million. “We showed up, now spend the money as dumb as possible”. I hate people.

9. steelers88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Thepittsburghkid.
    By the way I’m NOT a bandwagon fan! I went to the games in 2010 when they were terrible! The post was not about money! I was just saying it was a bad trade by Hundington. He traded Alex Dickerson there only power hitting 1st baseman in the organization for a LF and a SP.

10. steelers88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I wasn’t talking about Jones. Im talking about Alex Dickerson. I’m thrilled Jones is gone he was terrible last year and he doesn’t deserve the 5 million.

11. eddiek77 - Dec 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I’m at a loss to understand the strategy down at 1st base. Morneau? No thanks. Jones? See ya. Sanchez? Really?
    And top this off with the trade of a promising young first baseman to San Diego?
    I just don’t believe the team is going to put Lambo down there. So, what’s the thinking? Cory Hart? I think 8 other teams are interested.
    Lance Berkman? Really?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2751)
  2. W. Myers (2507)
  3. D. Ross (2142)
  4. C. McGehee (2108)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1956)
  1. J. Shields (1854)