The Mets wish you a Merry Christmas

Nov 25, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 10.34.47 AM

You all act like you hate the War on Christmas, but tell me, if it were won by the anti-Christmas hordes, wouldn’t we be without awful things like the Mets singing Christmas songs?

OK, I guess that can be an all-purpose holiday/seasonal song, so maybe the War on Christmas is irrelevant here. But someone should at least declare war on ballplayers trying to sing.

But we can keep Justin Turner doing his thing. He’s the absolute best thing about this video.

1. chill1184 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

As a libertarian I love the “War on Christmas” it’s always amusing to see theocons/warvangelicals and other statist conservatives (is that redundant?) get their panties in a bunch over companies telling their employees to wish their customers “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”. It’s probably the more entertaining theme of the season outside of the general insanity of the shopping season.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m a Libertarian, and I find it odd that a Libertarian would enjoy the war on Christmas. I think if you want to say Merry Christmas, you should. If you want to say Happy Holidays, you should. Shouldn’t be forced to choose, just do what makes you happy.

• chill1184 - Nov 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My love for the “war” stems from my hatred of conservatives and their bitching over something petty as this amuses me. Their screaming of “its destroying our culture” is on par with the liberal whinnying over large corporations. Especially on how Best Buy decided to open its doors on Thanksgiving this year.

• skids003 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

What’s the metter chill, nobody buy you a Christmas present? I guess you are a typical liberal, just because you don’t like it you want to ruin it for everybody else.

• Anoesis - Nov 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

skids-

That fat paintbrush of yours irritates me far more than the greedy commercialization of a fairly recent Christian holiday. Partisan hacks like you and your counterparts are what is seriously wrong with this country.

A Libertarian is socially liberal and fiscally conservative. You know, something Republicans aren’t.

Personally, I celebrate the Winter Solstice as mankind has done for thousands of years before recent religions co-opted it. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, whatever floats your boat. Just don’t whine about those idiotic lines you had to wait in to buy ridiculously overpriced crap in order to show people you love them.

“…ruin it for everyone else?” It’s already been done, unless you think being bombarded with carols in October and feigned outrage throughout the year is your idea of “peace on earth, goodwill towards men.”

• skids003 - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

anoes, if I have irritated you, then my work for today is done. Don’t bother to send me a Christmas card. Since you don’t know me, I really don’t think I’ve had much to do with the shape the country’s in. Celebrate what you want, just don’t ruin it for everybody else.

2. historiophiliac - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Gaaaah!!!!!! Dang the War on Thanksgiving!!!!! It is NOT, NOT, NOT Xmas yet. Quit trying to rob me of my Thanksgiving! Dang you Thanksgiving-killers to heck!

/adjusts turkey-eatin’ pants

3. Simon M. - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM

*insert random Christmastime joke about the Mets being cheap*

4. NatsLady - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Please, Nats, don’t do this. Not a-one a-those guys was even close to being in tune. Gaghhhhhhh…

• fearlessleader - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Yeah, but then again, my voice majors can’t play professional-level baseball either.

Oops, bad example.

5. km9000 - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I imagine the Mets trying to decorate a tree would look a lot like Archie and Jughead at the Lodges’.

6. sdelmonte - Nov 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I don’t feel like watching and ruining my faith in the Mets. So tell me: does Ike wish me a happy Hanukkah?

• larrytsg - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

No, this year Ike wishes you a Happy Thanksgivukkah!

Oh, btw, Merry Christmas, from the neighborhood Jewish kid.

• sdelmonte - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I like Hanukkah. I like Thanksgiving. I don’t like mixing the two. But what can you do?

7. sandrafluke2012 - Nov 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

What about the war on white people that liberals aren’t touching? The knockout game by black kids. Imagine if white kids were doing this to black people

• Anoesis - Nov 25, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Ah, tone-deaf sandra. It seems quite ironic that you’d pop up on an article about other folks with tin ears. Whites play a little different game when dealing with blacks. They don’t punch them, they shoot them.

Perceived threat from black kid? Shoot him (Trayvon Martin). Black girl pounding on your door looking for help after a car wreck? Shoot her (Renisha McBride). Black guy running towards cops for help after car wreck? Shoot him (Jonathan Ferrell). White cops in particular shoot black people a lot.

Go ahead, you could look them up, if you can pry those off those rose-colored glasses. Although there are examples of black people shooting white people, it’s nowhere near as rampant. You obviously only see one half of the equation and think punching someone is more worthy of your outrage.

8. sportsdrenched - Nov 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I think the people who made up the term “War on Xmas” aren’t paying attnetion. Radio Stations switch over to their Xmas format in the middle of November. Xmas stuff was set out, and Xmas commercials started on Halloween. If anything, Xmas is expanding.

Happy HoliDays

• historiophiliac - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I never did understand the objection to “Happy Holidays.” I always thought it was a nice way to hit all the holidays at once. You kind of roll from Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Years and Epiphany on the Christian calendar, so it kind of covers them all at once. I’m not sure why Christians find it objectionable then. (Except, of course, that they are afraid you really mean to include a non-Christian holiday, which would be AWFUL.)

(Ironically, most of the Christians I know don’t even celebrate Epiphany. I laugh to myself when they worry about Christmas being ignored and they don’t mark Epiphany — or Advent, a lot of Christians don’t do anything special each day of Advent for the season. I could go on.)

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Heck, the Christians aren’t the only ones to have mid-Winter celebrations. Saturnalia was the big thing back in the days before Christianity spread. What’s the big deal with sharing with other Holidays?

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Meh. It’s new. Give it a couple hundred years and they’ll get over it.

9. blynch67 - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

*insert random Christmastime joke about the Mets being cheap*

Actually, Mets fans getting a lump of coal for the last 3 off seasons.

Now that they allegedly ‘have’ some money to spend, they have sticker shock. I mean, $7 Mil for a .200 hitter? They should have kept Marlon Byrd and signed him to a decent extension, in hind sight.

I bet the Muts are done for the off season, unfortunately. Bad ownership…

10. kev86 - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Let the Wilpons celebrateThanksgiving and Hanukah in peace.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet