The Tigers are in “serious” negotiations with Brian Wilson

Nov 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT

Dodgers' Wilson watches the game against the Diamondbacks in the seventh inning during their MLB National League baseball game in Phoenix Reuters

Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers and free agent closer Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations. Henning reports that Wilson met yesterday with Brad Ausmus and Wilson’s agent Dan Lozano in Los Angeles.

Wilson was quite the pickup for the Dodgers after completing his Tommy John rehab. He pitched six scoreless innings in the postseason, striking out eight and allowing four hits. Overall he was 2-1 with a 0.66 ERA, and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 13.2 innings as the Dodgers’ setup guy.

In addition to the Tigers, the Indians, Rangers, Angels and Mariners have been suggested as possible landing spots for Wilson. If he gets to Detroit, one of the Tigers’ biggest headaches of the past couple of years will be solved. At least on paper.

As for the “serious” conversation? I’m not sure what a “serious” conversation with Wilson looks like. I’ve had two conversations with him in my life. This was the first one.  The second one involved him pointing at Willie Mays, who was on the other side of the clubhouse and asking me “who’s that?” When I looked at him he smiled at me, as he was checking to see if I actually thought he didn’t know who Willie Mays was.

So if he’s being serious now, well, that might be the most unsettling thing ever.

(thanks to Allison for the heads up)

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

This story makes a lot of sense. Even if they sign him, the Tigers still need a few more bullpen arms.

• historiophiliac - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I don’t know why they didn’t do it last season.

Is it officially last season now? It is, right?

• proudlycanadian - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Right!

2. historiophiliac - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. skerney - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

• hoopmatch - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

you must be the second then.

• gigab0t - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

thumbs up for logic!

4. Old Gator - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I don’t want Wilson to be serious. I want him to sit down at his desk and expand the “cassock” chapter of Moby Dick to include Brian McCann and Chris Johnson.

5. Dogsweat - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I love BW, I hope the Dodgers keep him. His talent is tremendous.

6. blynch67 - Nov 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM

“Craig is the fist person to ever use the words “Brian Wilson” and “Serious” in the same sentence.”

True enough, but I think he was joking.

• ernst2k - Nov 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Technically, Lynn Henning was…

7. wingsfan97 - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Tigers need to sign him and Nathan.it will give us a closer and a set up guy and when Nathan retires we will have Wilson to close

8. jkaflagg - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Always seemed like a National League guy to me……getting those final outs in the AL can be a little tougher. Got to go where the money is, though…..

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

The AL and it’s 4 Strikes Yer Out rule.

9. markofapro - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Why in the world would the Rangers be a possible landing spot?

10. georgewashingtonsghost - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if the Tigers sign him? Think about all the good vibrations he’ll bring to the Fans. It will be a fun, fun, fun summer in Detriot. Smile!

11. peddealer - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Markofapro, why not the Rangers?

Secondly, Craig… Brian was just seeing if you are as stupid as you look.

12. bigdicktater - Nov 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM

There must not be a mirror in your Mom’s basement for you to use.
    She probably did that on purpose.
    Schmuck!

13. holographicribs - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:54 AM

As a Tigers fan, the more bullpen help, the merrier, I say. Granted, he’s not too far removed from his arm surgery, and only threw 13 innings last year, but I trust Brian Wilson a hell of a lot more than someone like Bryan Villarreal or Al Albuquerque.

14. anxovies - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

How can you have serious negotiations with somebody who has small creatures living on his face?

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Ask the Red Sox.

15. xjokerz - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

as a tigers fan…id rather see Joe Nathan closing out games.

Nathan also said he would LOVE to play for the Tigers

16. seniorboy - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM

the dodgers are playing ostrich baseball here. this guy is a winner and acts like a winner and wants the ball no matter who is coming to the place. he performed marvelously for the LA club and why he is not being signed for 2014 is a real big mistake. Cmon Ned, get your head out of your arse and sign this man to a contract for he sets up your main man close Jansen. wow, what kind of foresight are you lacking in this matter?

17. Minoring In Baseball - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I’d prefer Nathan for the Tigers closer job, but I have nothing against Wilson if they sign him. The bullpen needs bolstering all around, so they will hopefully be signing more releivers.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3859)