Nov 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers and free agent closer Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations. Henning reports that Wilson met yesterday with Brad Ausmus and Wilson’s agent Dan Lozano in Los Angeles.
Wilson was quite the pickup for the Dodgers after completing his Tommy John rehab. He pitched six scoreless innings in the postseason, striking out eight and allowing four hits. Overall he was 2-1 with a 0.66 ERA, and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 13.2 innings as the Dodgers’ setup guy.
In addition to the Tigers, the Indians, Rangers, Angels and Mariners have been suggested as possible landing spots for Wilson. If he gets to Detroit, one of the Tigers’ biggest headaches of the past couple of years will be solved. At least on paper.
As for the “serious” conversation? I’m not sure what a “serious” conversation with Wilson looks like. I’ve had two conversations with him in my life. This was the first one. The second one involved him pointing at Willie Mays, who was on the other side of the clubhouse and asking me “who’s that?” When I looked at him he smiled at me, as he was checking to see if I actually thought he didn’t know who Willie Mays was.
So if he’s being serious now, well, that might be the most unsettling thing ever.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)