Nov 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers and free agent closer Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations. Henning reports that Wilson met yesterday with Brad Ausmus and Wilson’s agent Dan Lozano in Los Angeles.
Wilson was quite the pickup for the Dodgers after completing his Tommy John rehab. He pitched six scoreless innings in the postseason, striking out eight and allowing four hits. Overall he was 2-1 with a 0.66 ERA, and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 13.2 innings as the Dodgers’ setup guy.
In addition to the Tigers, the Indians, Rangers, Angels and Mariners have been suggested as possible landing spots for Wilson. If he gets to Detroit, one of the Tigers’ biggest headaches of the past couple of years will be solved. At least on paper.
As for the “serious” conversation? I’m not sure what a “serious” conversation with Wilson looks like. I’ve had two conversations with him in my life. This was the first one. The second one involved him pointing at Willie Mays, who was on the other side of the clubhouse and asking me “who’s that?” When I looked at him he smiled at me, as he was checking to see if I actually thought he didn’t know who Willie Mays was.
So if he’s being serious now, well, that might be the most unsettling thing ever.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)