Nov 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers and free agent closer Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations. Henning reports that Wilson met yesterday with Brad Ausmus and Wilson’s agent Dan Lozano in Los Angeles.
Wilson was quite the pickup for the Dodgers after completing his Tommy John rehab. He pitched six scoreless innings in the postseason, striking out eight and allowing four hits. Overall he was 2-1 with a 0.66 ERA, and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 13.2 innings as the Dodgers’ setup guy.
In addition to the Tigers, the Indians, Rangers, Angels and Mariners have been suggested as possible landing spots for Wilson. If he gets to Detroit, one of the Tigers’ biggest headaches of the past couple of years will be solved. At least on paper.
As for the “serious” conversation? I’m not sure what a “serious” conversation with Wilson looks like. I’ve had two conversations with him in my life. This was the first one. The second one involved him pointing at Willie Mays, who was on the other side of the clubhouse and asking me “who’s that?” When I looked at him he smiled at me, as he was checking to see if I actually thought he didn’t know who Willie Mays was.
So if he’s being serious now, well, that might be the most unsettling thing ever.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)