Nov 25, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that the Tigers and free agent closer Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations. Henning reports that Wilson met yesterday with Brad Ausmus and Wilson’s agent Dan Lozano in Los Angeles.
Wilson was quite the pickup for the Dodgers after completing his Tommy John rehab. He pitched six scoreless innings in the postseason, striking out eight and allowing four hits. Overall he was 2-1 with a 0.66 ERA, and a 13/4 K/BB ratio in 13.2 innings as the Dodgers’ setup guy.
In addition to the Tigers, the Indians, Rangers, Angels and Mariners have been suggested as possible landing spots for Wilson. If he gets to Detroit, one of the Tigers’ biggest headaches of the past couple of years will be solved. At least on paper.
As for the “serious” conversation? I’m not sure what a “serious” conversation with Wilson looks like. I’ve had two conversations with him in my life. This was the first one. The second one involved him pointing at Willie Mays, who was on the other side of the clubhouse and asking me “who’s that?” When I looked at him he smiled at me, as he was checking to see if I actually thought he didn’t know who Willie Mays was.
So if he’s being serious now, well, that might be the most unsettling thing ever.
(thanks to Allison for the heads up)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (158)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)