David Price says: “Ladies . . . let ur man drive!”

Nov 26, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT

David Price has one Cy Young and multiple instances of Twitter failure. Here’s his latest:

I guess the sentiment of wanting us all to be safe is laudable. But, um, yeah, I hope if there is a Mrs. Price — be it his wife or his mother — she doesn’t see this.

UPDATE: Jeremy Guthrie for the win:

106 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mikeevergreen - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

The Price Is Wrong!

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

• jfk69 - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I will let her drive. If I don’t. She will drive me crazy…Sorry David

2. El Bravo - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Well I assume that he wants the ladies to let their men drive b/c the ladies will be working hard in the kitchen and they will be exhausted. What a thoughtful guy.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I hope those ladies aren’t too exhausted to sprinkle some special “parmesan” on his plate at Thanksgiving.

• unclemosesgreen - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Now now, how’s a lady to drive whilst holding a parasol?

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’ll be too barefoot and pregnant to drive.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

So, we’re meeting at the usual place to synchronize our watches for Operation Price Check?

/adjusts spy goggles, rope and pink handcuffs

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

/snaps on leather gloves, flexes fingers

Let’s do this.

• cur68 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I knew it. Y’all are some sort of global conspiracy…now that I’ve said that, why did I think of Pinky & The Brain? Anyhow, good luck with Mr. Price. While you’re re-educating him, can you instil a fondness for seal blubber and the Canadian Dollar? Thanks.

3. asimonetti88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Price has a girlfriend, she was blasting Red Sox fans on Twitter during the playoffs.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

You follow his girlfriend?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

About ten years ago, that remark would have sounded way more creepy.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Anna Benson doesn’t think it’s creepy at all.

• yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I sense the internet has taken most of the challenge out of stalking.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Note to self: google “yahmule.”

• yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Pay no attention to those negative reviews. Yelp is full of liars.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM

No, I don’t follow her but I saw an article about it during the playoffs.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Everyone knows lefties can’t think straight. /s

5. hojo20 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Good point by Price. The wife always helps with the kids requests in the back seat while I drive.

6. KR - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Area Man Says Something Stupid on Twitter

7. shockgee - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Just solidifies that the Tampa Bay Rays organization has and continues to produce douchebag players. See Matt Bush, Josh Sale, Evan Longoria (shining off kids for autographs?). And let’s not forget, continues to sign douchebag’s, see Luke Scott, Yunel Escobar. Gotta hand it to Joe Maddon and his crew. Great personnel moves.

• asimonetti88 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Matt Bush wasn’t technically produced by the Rays. He was drafted first overall by the Padres.

• shockgee - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Still part of the organization when it happened.

• ryanrockzzz - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I actually find it kinda funny, if you don’t take it all serious and hyper-sensative like we all do now.

• jm91rs - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Definitely smart to put a rapist into the same category as a guy that tells kids he can’t sign autographs while he’s eating dinner.

• davidpom50 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Which one from that list is a rapist? I know Josh Lueke is (also of the Rays), but didn’t see him listed. Is there another rapist on that team of scumbags?

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Yeah, he didn’t list Lueke. The one guy currently on the Rays roster who is rather indefensible, he didn’t list. Nevertheless, you are correct. shockgee has an interesting moral compass. I wouldn’t lump together Longoria (who pleasantly signed an autograph for my little girl) in the same class as Sale, the minor leaguer who mistreated a stripper.

8. balfe13 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Political correctness is going to turn everyone into a robot. Is this really a big deal? Let the man have an opinion, even if it’s not a popular or “politically correct” one. Seriously, people, come on.

• louhudson23 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM

It is not a question of politically correct….farting in front of your mom is not politically correct…expressing blatant sexism is bigotry…..and always has been….just because bigotry was once acceptable idiocy doesn’t change the fact…perhaps he could use a ride with these ladies….http://youtu.be/HhnoCHBQSp8

• cohnjusack - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

How about this:

Let the man have an opinion. When that opinion is overtly sexist and not remotely fact-based (ie, “women can’t drive”), give him hell for it. You seem to be advocating a pass for saying stupid things.

I don’t think he should be fired, or reprimanded, or anything. I just think he’s a moron whose spouting out long disproven sexist idiocy and therefore deserves to be called an idiot for it.

Oh, and before you argue that women are worse drivers:
      Spoiler alert: The conclusion is that women are safer drivers.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Better robots than pigs.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Can you make bacon out of robots? I don’t think so.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Dude, you don’t buy the pig when you just want a little sausage.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM

*sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALALALALALA….I can’t hear you….LALALALALALALALALA

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:52 PM

You’re so mature.

• alang3131982 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM

If we should “Let the man have an opinion, even if it’s not a popular or “politically correct” one,” shouldnt you (by your own logic) let others have an opinion, even if it’s a popular or politically correct one?

If everyone should be allowed to express their opinions and not be ridiculed, then everyone should be able to use their own opinions to ridicule others.

I imagine there’s a universal maxim somewhere in there about the supposed right to lie…

9. shanabartels - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I look forward to Price claiming in about an hour that he was misquoted. On his Twitter account. Wait for it.

10. stoutfiles - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What is he talking about? There’s no highway between the bedroom and the kitchen!

Just joking of course. Anyways, I think Twitter should market an “approval” account option, where all tweets are sent to another person (in this case, the Rays PR team) for approval before being sent out. I think a lot of celebrities would benefit from this, but at the expense of our entertainment.

• quintjs - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The Twitter Approval Account – The next best thing to thinking.

11. beefytrout - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Save it, nerds.

12. fearlessleader - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Especially and sadly ironic because, if I remember correctly, one of Price’s close friends was killed by a male drunk driver.

13. NatsLady - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

ur my man, Davie boy. C’mon over n b my chauffeur. (While you’re at it, play on my baseball team.)

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Seriously? How am I not supposed to make a “Driving NatsLady” joke here?

• NatsLady - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Help yourself!

14. jehzsa - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Perhaps what he was trying to say was that the man should take the driver’s seat, if and only if she allows it, so that if they get involved in a traffic accident she can always blame him for it. Instead of the other way around.

Or sumpthin’ like that.

15. chill1184 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Oh professional athletes, you say the darnest things

16. holleywood9 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

He’s got a point. It’s just safer.

• cohnjusack - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You’re right! Men are safer drives with the following exceptions:

71 percent of all motor vehicle deaths were males.
      70 percent of pedestrian deaths were caused by male drivers
      87 percent of bicyclist deaths involved male drivers and
      91 percent percent of motorcycle deaths
      Men get nearly twice as many speeding tickets
      Men are 3 times more likely to get pulled over for reckless driving
      Men are 3 times more likely to get DUIs

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Soo…. we should let the Women drive right?

• stex52 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM

No, no, FC, you just don’t get it. /S

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

After reading all those stats, I’m now wondering why it’s even legal for men to drive…

• cur68 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Only stoned people have safer driving records than women. Neat, eh?

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

My fallopian tubes say TURNLEFTNOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MISSED THE EXIT BECAUSE I KERNT READ WHEN I’M OVULATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chocolate.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That was mildly amusing, until I got to “Chocolate.”, which I read as a punctuation, like the last word of a freestyle poem, now, I can’t stop laughing….or thinking about chocolate.

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Mmmmmm… chocolate. Can’t drive. Stuffing face with chocolate truffles. Nom nom nom…

So, can women past ovulating age drive? I want to know if I can drive safely someday without my damn lady parts misdirecting me.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I’m pretty sure residual estrogen leaves you permanently impaired. More chocolate?

• indaburg - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Chocolate flowers diamonds designer purses housewives of Wichita Kardashians Jimmy Choo shoes mani-pedis /tee-hee

Dog, shoot me. Although, I will take the chocolate, thank you very much, especially if it’s dark. Ninety-two days until pitchers and catchers report. Has this off-season been a bitch so far or what? The last game of the 2013 season was played on 10/30, less than a month ago, but if feels like longer.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I know and it’s totally pie season.

17. sportsdrenched - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

David, what are you thinking dude? If they’re not driving they’ll be over in the passenger seat reading or something. We can’t have women reading, it will give them ideas. Ideas like… ask for the right to vote! Can you imagine, that? No David, we’re better off with them driving.
    (/sarcasm font)

18. spudchukar - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

How long til the season starts?

19. Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I was once told that generally speaking most women don’t know how to drive well and that many times a woman was the cause of some personal automotive disruption. The person who told me this was my step mother… Hmm. I guess she drives like a man.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

You’re related to Phyllis Schlafly? Wow.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ouch! My step mother is hardly a conservative anti-feminist nut job. She has flaws like anyone else. I guess Latin America is just a different overall culture.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I’m just teasing.

20. coltzfan166 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Words of wisdom.

21. sportsdrenched - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM

On a serious note. I think some of you are taking this way too seriously.

22. holleywood9 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

I’m not sexist because sexism is wrong…and being wrong is for women

23. yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My girlfriend drives worse on purpose when I make her do it so I won’t ask her anymore. I still do, though. It has become a battle of nerves at this point.

• stex52 - Nov 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I always drive. It’s simple. I like to drive, and she feels better if I drive. Is my wife a safer driver than I am? Probably. But after a while you just slip into roles.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My ex always drove because I had to navigate. He wasn’t good at figuring out where to go, and I’m pretty good with a map, so…. One time we were driving back from New Hampshire (to western MA) and I fell asleep in the car. When I woke up, we were almost to Canada. All he had to do was stay on the damn road I had him on. Sigh.

• cur68 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This is why the in-car GPS voice most men hear is that of a woman. Women are much better with maps and signs and men are much better with distances. If you’re lost and stop a passerby for help and need directions you can understand and trust (like, duh), ask a lady. You’ll get something like “stay on this road until you see the sign for 1st Ave. Turn away from the sign and go on until you see 1st street. The interstate is the next set of lights…” If you ask a dude you’re way more likely to get “drive 4 miles on this road. Take the left there and go another 5 or 6 miles…”

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I think you missed the point, which was that I almost went to CANADA!!!! Eeeeeee!!!!

• cur68 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM

You wouldn’t have been let in. We’ve have pelted you car with seal blubber and set the sled dogs on you. Then we’d likely have followed you home and burned your house down. We crazy like that.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Yes, please.

Help, help! I need a fireman. Help. Help. Mr. April, I feel faint…

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

That’s not my experience. My wife can’t navigate to save her life. She called me once to tell me she was lost. And yes, she had a GPS.

• historiophiliac - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

ha ha One of my uncles got lost hunting once…with a compass hanging around his neck. They found him like 100 yards from the highway. My other uncles won’t take him hunting anymore. lol

24. raysfan1 - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Indeed a Twitter fail. Anything put on any form of social media is suddenly part of the public record. As a result people who know nothing about you will make character assessments of you, even without context.

In this case, it may be that his girlfriend is a back seat driver, and he made an unfortunate generalization as a result. I neither know nor really care, however. Instead, I simply point to this as one more example of why public figures are better off avoiding Twitter altogether.

25. butchhuskey - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Statistics show that men are far more likely to get into serious accidents, but if I cited any David Price would call me a nerd.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3667)