Nov 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
If you thought the outrage about Jhonny Peralta getting a four-year, $53 million deal has been significant just imagine what happens if Nelson Cruz gets the contract he wants. Cruz, like Peralta, is a free agent after serving a 50-game Biogenesis suspension and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that he’s seeking “about $75 million over four years.”
This morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that the Mariners were interested in Cruz and now Heyman adds the Rangers, A’s, and Mets as other potential suitors.
Cruz turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers that would have been worth $14.1 million for 2014 and apparently he made the right call despite being 33 years old coming off a suspension. He hit .266 with 27 homers and an .833 OPS in 109 games before the suspension and Cruz has an .823 career OPS that ranks 30th among all right-handed hitters with at least 2,000 plate appearances.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 0
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)