Nov 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
If you thought the outrage about Jhonny Peralta getting a four-year, $53 million deal has been significant just imagine what happens if Nelson Cruz gets the contract he wants. Cruz, like Peralta, is a free agent after serving a 50-game Biogenesis suspension and Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that he’s seeking “about $75 million over four years.”
This morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that the Mariners were interested in Cruz and now Heyman adds the Rangers, A’s, and Mets as other potential suitors.
Cruz turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers that would have been worth $14.1 million for 2014 and apparently he made the right call despite being 33 years old coming off a suspension. He hit .266 with 27 homers and an .833 OPS in 109 games before the suspension and Cruz has an .823 career OPS that ranks 30th among all right-handed hitters with at least 2,000 plate appearances.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 0
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 50
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)