Quote of the Day: Prince Fielder admits he sucked

Nov 26, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

ALCS - Detroit Tigers v Boston Red Sox - Game Six Getty Images

Prince Fielder was asked yesterday about his disappearing act during the playoffs this past season and the fact that the hometown folks started to complain about it:

“Everybody was on me a little bit about my performance, but rightfully so,” said Fielder. “I sucked, but I didn’t have to be reminded of it. Hopefully, we can make some better memories here.”

I feel like, on the whole, the media environment in Dallas is more hostile than the one in Detroit. It’s not crazy or anything, but the talk radio down there is certainly more critical of players. I wonder how Fielder will take it if he sucks again.

1. aceshigh11 - Nov 26, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Judging from that photo…he swallowed too.

2. jbusch415 - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Prince, I’m glad we got rid of your crappy contract, didn’t like it in the first place.

3. yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM

That picture is something else. I know they relaxed the rules about fraternization between opposing players, but I don’t think anybody expected it would lead to on-the-field spooning.

• jcmeyer10 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I suppose I am even more surprised he is the “little spoon”.

• yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Yadi won’t have it any other way.

• paperlions - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Pretty sure that is Saltalamaccia….seeing as how that wall in the background is in Fenway, and, well, that they guy looks like Salty.

• yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Okay. I still believe what I said would hold true, though.

4. sfm073 - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM

He’ll have a couple of bounce back years, but eventually he’s going to be real bad.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Seriously, didn’t you call Craig out yesterday for a typo? “Real bad”? Okay. Also, I bet your medical expertise there is as “real bad” as your grammar.

5. criticaldsj - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Chanel sucks much better than you do.

Sincerely,

Avisail Garcia

• weaselpuppy - Nov 27, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Hadn’t read up on that rumor….dang….Avi is gonna be a stud….I mean on the field…..

6. stex52 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I wouldn’t worry so much about a bad playoff run. That will happen, especially against the elite pitching at the playoff level. I would worry much more about the weight he is carrying into his 30′s. I know that people will jump up with descriptions of his athleticism and his vegetarian habits, but he is still too large to avoid paying a price in the joints and, eventually, the cardiac function.

7. chrisdtx - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

.286/.389/.527

• nolasoxfan2012 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Do his career numbers get to hit? What he did in 2007 doesn’t have much to do with 2013.

8. nolasoxfan2012 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

The thing about Fielder that really sucked is that he didn’t just disappear – he made his presence felt by being both an awful fielder and a terrible baserunner. Dropping Saltalamacchia’s foul ball in Game 2 and then that ridiculous flop at third in Game 6? If he were hitting, you can forgive those. But, when he’s not hitting, he’s worse than useless; he’s actually detrimental to your team.

9. dhar77 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The media is worse down here on the Cowboys. The baseball coverage is mellow. But,if he insults the fans then signs with the Angels (C.J. Wilson, Josh Hamilton) then it will get bad.

• stex52 - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I agree. I don’t think he will take that much of a beating from the baseball media. That’s a lot worse up East.

• historiophiliac - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Now don’t underestimate the haters in Baseball Town.

10. dhar77 - Nov 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM

His “39 year old body” has only missed one game in the last 5 years.

• yahmule - Nov 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Thank you.

• homergreenz - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM

It’s not “his body”. The “his” and the “body” are the same thing.

11. xjokerz - Nov 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

i like how he picked the number 84, he was horrible for the Tigers in the playoffs… and he deserved the media to come after him.
    maybe Ian Kinsler should wear number ZERO, for the amount of RBIs fielder had for us during the playoffs.

12. timmmah10 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I like how Prince Fielder whines about people reminding him he sucked in the playoffs… um… you get paid a LOT of money to be in the limelight and face the scrutiny. If you’re too small of a person to overcome that, then you didn’t deserve that contract. Everyone can perform when they are happy. Only stars perform even when they aren’t at their best.

That contract was a nightmare, and Detroit made an incredible move getting out from under it.

I believe the Tigers owner forced this deal on his GM, which makes me wonder how that “I told you so” conversation went after this season!

• cshearing - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Whines about it?!? Where do you see any whining in that article? He was asked what he felt about it, and said he deservedly got flak for his poor play. He admitted he sucked. I wish people would “whine” this way all the time.

• timmmah10 - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Oh dear… I need to spell this out for you? “I wish people wouldn’t remind me that I sucked.” Sounds whiny. Additionally… This is coming from a guy who said in press conferences after the game that it didn’t matter that much to him. That’s not a comment I want to hear from a 20+ million a year player. It doesn’t matter. Texas can have his careless attitude. Good riddance!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet