Nov 26, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
This is not a repeat from last winter, when the Mariners were in pretty serious negotiations with Mike Napoli but backed out when his hip problems presented themselves. This is new interest, reports Ken Rosenthal, who is unsure how serious the M’s are this time around, but who are definitely in on Napoli now.
And they should be, as both Rosenthal’s arguments and the Mariners’ clear needs make plain. But after Napoli showed himself both healthy and productive — and showed some surprisingly good leather at first base — there are a lot of teams who are going to be interested. And as we noted with respect to Carlos Beltran and Nelson Cruz this morning, the M’s are not likely going to be at the top of Napoli’s list unless they’re willing to go substantially longer and richer than anyone else.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)