Nov 26, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
This is not a repeat from last winter, when the Mariners were in pretty serious negotiations with Mike Napoli but backed out when his hip problems presented themselves. This is new interest, reports Ken Rosenthal, who is unsure how serious the M’s are this time around, but who are definitely in on Napoli now.
And they should be, as both Rosenthal’s arguments and the Mariners’ clear needs make plain. But after Napoli showed himself both healthy and productive — and showed some surprisingly good leather at first base — there are a lot of teams who are going to be interested. And as we noted with respect to Carlos Beltran and Nelson Cruz this morning, the M’s are not likely going to be at the top of Napoli’s list unless they’re willing to go substantially longer and richer than anyone else.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)