Nov 27, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Daniel Hudson has made just nine starts since the beginning of the 2012 regular season due to elbow issues and is expected to miss a majority of the 2014 season while recovering from his second Tommy John reconstructive surgery in two years.
The Diamondbacks can get rid of the arbitration-eligible right-hander this winter by declining to tender him a contract. But that’s not in the club’s plans.
According to MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks front office has begun negotiations on a deal for 2014 with Hudson, who made just over the league minimum this summer. “We’ve finally started kicking tires on something,” confirmed the 26-year-old starter on Wednesday night. “Hopefully we’ll get something done in the next few days or over the weekend. Obviously my wife and I have our roots set down here. We’d like to be here for the long run, and I’d like to have a long career with the Diamondbacks.”
Hudson, 26, owns a promising 3.68 career ERA and 1.209 career WHIP in 381 1/3 major league frames. It won’t cost more than $1 million for Arizona to keep him around and hope for a full, successful return.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)