Nov 27, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
Daniel Hudson has made just nine starts since the beginning of the 2012 regular season due to elbow issues and is expected to miss a majority of the 2014 season while recovering from his second Tommy John reconstructive surgery in two years.
The Diamondbacks can get rid of the arbitration-eligible right-hander this winter by declining to tender him a contract. But that’s not in the club’s plans.
According to MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks front office has begun negotiations on a deal for 2014 with Hudson, who made just over the league minimum this summer. “We’ve finally started kicking tires on something,” confirmed the 26-year-old starter on Wednesday night. “Hopefully we’ll get something done in the next few days or over the weekend. Obviously my wife and I have our roots set down here. We’d like to be here for the long run, and I’d like to have a long career with the Diamondbacks.”
Hudson, 26, owns a promising 3.68 career ERA and 1.209 career WHIP in 381 1/3 major league frames. It won’t cost more than $1 million for Arizona to keep him around and hope for a full, successful return.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)