Nov 27, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
Daniel Hudson has made just nine starts since the beginning of the 2012 regular season due to elbow issues and is expected to miss a majority of the 2014 season while recovering from his second Tommy John reconstructive surgery in two years.
The Diamondbacks can get rid of the arbitration-eligible right-hander this winter by declining to tender him a contract. But that’s not in the club’s plans.
According to MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks front office has begun negotiations on a deal for 2014 with Hudson, who made just over the league minimum this summer. “We’ve finally started kicking tires on something,” confirmed the 26-year-old starter on Wednesday night. “Hopefully we’ll get something done in the next few days or over the weekend. Obviously my wife and I have our roots set down here. We’d like to be here for the long run, and I’d like to have a long career with the Diamondbacks.”
Hudson, 26, owns a promising 3.68 career ERA and 1.209 career WHIP in 381 1/3 major league frames. It won’t cost more than $1 million for Arizona to keep him around and hope for a full, successful return.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)