Miguel Cabrera wants to play first base

Nov 27, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT

Miguel Cabrera AP

Venezuelan newspaper El Universal reports that Miguel Cabrera has told the Tigers that he wants to play first base.

This is probably a relief to everyone in the Tigers organization, who you have to figure WANT Cabrera to play first base now that Prince Fielder is gone. And want to have third base open for prospect Nick Castellanos. But some recent statements about how the Tigers have not yet decided the matter suggest that, maybe, the team was waiting to make sure they were on the same page with the reigning two-time MVP before committing to it.

With Cabrera going on record in this way, you can bet your bippy that he’ll be the Tigers first baseman come Opening Day.

1. cadillacjosh - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

“bet your bippy”.

What is a bippy? And can I really afford to lose it, should I lose the bet?

• pauleee - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We did this already, and I still contend that it is “sweet bippy”. Get with the program Craig!

/bet em all, bet every bippy you can find

• rbj1 - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Of course it’s sweet bippy. I heard it when Laugh-In was original. BTW, whatever happened to that Goldie Hawn chick.

• 2dmo4 - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Is a “bippy” a dong? If it is, I can’t afford to lose it.

• raysfan1 - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

It’s the butt.

• raysfan1 - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

2. historiophiliac - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

In order to help the team, MVP Miggy is willing to move back to 1B! MVP! MVP! MVP!

• paperlions - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

He’s no Michael Young, that’s for sure.

• frank433 - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

True, he has talent.

• historiophiliac - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Drunk on pumpkintinis?

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

No, and eww.

I do think I ate about 10,000 Kcal yesterday, but because of the lengthy nature of the festivities, beer and wine were the accompanying potables.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Better take your babies for a good long hike then. Did you stay in CT or go home?

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

The only holiday I regularly “go home” for is Christmas. I used to make a point to visit during the summer as well, but now that only happens when it coincides with something else (wedding, retirement, need to go to Cardinal game in StL).

As far as I can tell, Holidays are generally less stressful when spent with friends rather than relatives….especially when the family is as large as mine.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

BTW, my 11-year-old niece made the green bean casserole this year and added cheese and bacon to it. Children are horrible. Anyway, I think I’m stuck with having bacon in it from here on out. Why do Americans have to eat so much meat (and especially bacon, which is pointless)?

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Oof. You know, I kind of miss green bean casserole. I assume it is generally the same throughout the mid-west (cream of mushroom soup, green beans (usually from a can, SMH), those fried onion things on top). It isn’t a particularly common dish up this way.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

New England is weird.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, it is. Really, everywhere is weird, if you aren’t from there, but the ways in which they are weird are different. In NE, it seems that things change both more quickly and more slowly….an odd combination of willingness to change attitude toward things while still be rooted in the past/tradition.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I got along there but I didn’t love it. It was beautiful but strange. The people often annoyed me. They don’t have much of a sense of humor, mostly. I did appreciate some things there though.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

The sense of humor here is just different. To me, it really doesn’t matter what a local sense of humor is because what they think is funny is often too obvious for me to appreciate. The nice thing though is that here I don’t have to hear a bunch of racist and sexist BS, which still litters the things that much of my family thinks is funny….the sad thing is that they don’t even recognize their own sexist and racism because everyone they know thinks they same way they do, they have no point of comparison. It is like going backwards in time for me when I visit the family.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Oh, trust me the people up there are prejudiced too — and they are often oblivious to it, which makes it even more annoying. Even those who are not often have very superficial understandings of race, etc, and have just been taught to parrot things. Don’t get me started. I’m still digesting. :)

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Everyone is prejudiced, that is evolutionary programming, actually. Some segments of the population work harder against that programming than others. Where places exist on the gradient is not surprising though, I didn’t realize how racist/sexist/backward my family is until I moved here….because when I lived in Texas, my family represented “progress” with respect to what I heard on a daily basis in west Texas.

I think it is also different if you are a guy. The biggest difference between here, StL, and Lubbock is what guys act like when there aren’t any women around. Here, I have not detected much difference, in west Texas, it was night and day…as soon as it was just white guys, the racists/sexist game started, apparently, with the goal of who could be the biggest dick.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I’m glad you found a place you like better…even if it has no green bean casserole.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Life is all about trade offs, no where is perfect. Most of my life/time is spent interacting with people at universities or similar institutions, so typically, most of the people I interact with aren’t local anyway. But I much prefer the hills, trees, streams, and seasons up here to many other places I have lived. The only thing I miss about living in a city is the variety of ethnic food available….now, if I want something (mexican, curry, pad thai), I usually have to make it myself.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I’m actually making jerky today. Sliced the meat and made the marinade yeasterday, put it in the dehydrator this morning (it’ll take about 5-6 hrs). Last year I started piggy backing chicken on my marinades, I add a little more canning salt to the marinade after the beef or venison is taken out then slice some chicken breasts and use the same marinade. It actually works really well and that way I get more bang for my buck. You’d be surprised how much it costs to make 1 lb of jerky.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Jerky.

/shudders

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM

My jerky is awesome. There is a girl in the lab that has had a largely vegan diet for 2 years. She makes exceptions regularly for 2 things: sushi buffet, my jerky.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

So your plan is to ply the ladies with jerky? Awesome.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Yeah, I’ll let you know if it ever works.

One thing is for sure, if they wrinkle their nose at jerky they get crossed right off the list. It’s a good filter.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM

As I am not a fan of the shriveled meat sticks, I shall proudly sit at the reject table. ha ha

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I see how you are….a fan of non-shriveled meat sticks, but totally disinterested as soon as they are shriveled and no longer of use to you.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM

What can I say? I’m a bitch.

• paperlions - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Ha! Everyone’s a sucker for bread pudding.

3. jfk69 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Rowan and Martin agree. Goldie does as well

4. chrisernst82 - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

And in other news Clayton Kershaw has decided to stay as a Starting Pitcher. Dodged a bullet there!

5. knowlegeforyou - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Comps at 3B are Longo and Wright, comps at 1B are Albert + if he stays healthy. Yeah I would move back to 1B too

6. digbysellers - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I like my bippy so no dice Craig

7. Minoring In Baseball - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Not a big surprise at all, not that managment doesn’t have the final say on where he is going to play. He took a beating at the hot corner, and they need him healthy this season. Their playoff run may have turned out differently with a healthy Miggy in the line up. Either Castellanos will move back to third, or Detroit signs a FA.

8. druhlman - Nov 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Man! This Miguel Cabrera is so selfless to sacrifice this for his team.

9. moenrosanne - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

my best friend’s mom makes $67 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for eight months but last month her pay check was $17002 just working on the laptop for a few hours. see this …………….>http://qr.net/l5M4

10. alang3131982 - Nov 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

He selflessly moved positions again. Why even vote for the 2014 MVP?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5108)