Robinson Cano has lowered his asking price “very slightly”

Nov 27, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT

A couple of Robinson Cano tidbits from Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News:

That part about the $310 million is interesting, because Cano’s people were trying to spin that as what Cano wanted way back during the season to forego free agency altogether, not something they wanted now. Guess not. As for the “very slightly?” I’d read that as the characterization from a team source who is not impressed with where Cano is right now.

How Cano gets out of $300 million land and down into a territory where teams start fighting over him is an interesting question. Because right now he’s not giving anyone an incentive to do anything other than wait him out.

1. cackalackyank - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Well I guess its a start.

• fanofevilempire - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Cano has to take less money, Santa needs some cash too.

2. lyon810 - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Jay-Z is coming across as incompetent as an agent, right?

• asimonetti88 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

He came off that way with Geno Smith’s contract which has the potential to make him very little money.

• pisano - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

That would be a complement, Calling Jay-Z incompetent, more like delusional.

• paxnov - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Jay-Z is a figurehead. Real negotiations are handled by CAA Baseball. Not incompetent, just unrealistic. Cano may end up a Dodger to spite Yankees’refusal to cave in to the demand. Stupid to price yourself putt of the market like that though.

• schreibdave - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Yea, but look at all the marketing deals that Jay Z has implemented for Robbie. Can somebody remind me what those deals are?

• yahmule - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:23 AM

That Calvin Johnson commercial is the most unintentionally funny thing I’ve ever seen.

• pftfan - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM

that Calvin Johnson commercial is Diddy, not Jay Z. And I like that commercial.

3. blynch67 - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I’m now slightly more interested in having Robbie back on our team next. I’ll become a lot more interested @ 5 years/$25M per year. I would be very ready to cut the check with those parameters.

However, I’ll probably end up rooting for our new second baseman in the Spring. And I’ll be OK with that.

Honestly, Robbie’s good, but $150 million is where I would draw the line.

• kruegere - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM

He’s definitely going to get more years than that from someone and $150M is not going to get it done.

It sounds like you’re not at all familiar with the baseball market and the contracts that have been handed out to other players. Just randomly came up with a number that sounds good.

• bigharold - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

“In a world where Peralta gets 4yrs/$54M, do you think Cano will really sign for 5yrs/$150M? ”

He’s not that far off in years.

If he signs with the Yankees, Cano will likely settle for almost twice as many years with the a little more than three times the money. But, he’s not getting anywhere near $200 mil and nothing near ten years, let alone $300 mil and ten years. Options and all he’s maxing out at seven years and and $170 to 180 mil. If he signs for more than that, he’ll likely be signing somewhere other than the Bronx.

• blynch67 - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I’ve been a Yankee fan for 50 years.

I’m just suggesting that it’s time to draw the line at either 5 years or $150 million.

4. 18thstreet - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think The Source is trying to make Cano look bad, and it’s working. Craig bought it, and now the rest of this board will, too.

• 18thstreet - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I didn’t mean to say that we’re all sheep who simply follow what Craig has written. That’s obviously not true.

But I honestly don’t understand why we believe this isn’t just gamesmanship. And that the Yankees are winning the PR battle. And that the Yankees are obviously interested in scaring away other potential bidders by making it sound like Cano is being unreasonable.

It is absolutely in Cano’s interest to drag this out until the Braves, Nationals, and Orioles join in on the bidding. And then the Yankees will up their offer. As a Red Sox fan, I’m hoping he leaves the AL.

• paperlions - Nov 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

There is still a 0% chance the Braves or Orioles will ever be involved in this bidding. They don’t have the payroll flexibility.

The Nationals are a long shot. The Cubs could get involved at some point.

If the Yankees held firm at 6 years and $150M, I seriously doubt that a any other team would get involved in the bidding because he is a very good player but not anything like the star he appears to think he is.

The Yankees have no reason to wage any PR campaign. I doubt Yankee fans would be upset if he left because he signed a Pujols-like deal, they’ll just be glad their team doesn’t have another contract like Teixiera/A-Rod that locks up years of money, a roster spot, and playing time for an old and declining player.

• stevequinn - Nov 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The only team with anything near the kind of money Cano wants is the Dodgers. And they have no conscience about spending it either. I would hate to see the Yankees lose Cano. That’s where he belongs. Even though aI’m a Sox fan, I like the Yankees and hope they keep Cano.

• eagles92 - Nov 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Don’t listen to 18thstreet dude has no idea what he is talking about. Yankees would be smart to let cano walk if he wants 10 years 300 mil. No one deserves that kind of money. Braves don’t spend big money like that so the fact that you even put them either shows you have no clue and also no evidence to even back that claim up. And the orioles lol seriously cmon man they are gonna give a 10 year deal to someone in their 30’s. Just stop man no one is buying the dreams you’re selling

• 18thstreet - Nov 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

No one thinks Cano is signing for 10 years, 30 million.

• dakotaandotter - Nov 30, 2013 at 9:03 AM

the Yankees don’t have to do a thing to scare other bidders away. Cano is doing a great job of that all by himself.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

My guess is the Yankees draw the line at $180MM that’s the amount they eventually signed Tex for be it over 8 years. I think the Yankees stay at 7 years and a max of $180MM

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

BTW I neglected to mention I’m still in favor of the them staying exactly where they have been reported at: 7 yrs/$161MM. If that’s not enough move on to Infante.

• pisano - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

uyf1950… I’m with you, I say go get Infante now, and watch Cano lower his price.

• 18thstreet - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If the Yankees sign Infante, Cano goes somewhere for 4 years, $80 million and the Yankees have A LOT of explaining to do for their fans.

• uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM

18thstreet, come on you really don’t believe that. Besides the Yankees can still sign both Infante and Cano. Remember Infante can play both 3rd and SS. I don’t necessarily think the signings have to be mutually exclusive. After all Infante will probably only cost $8 to $9MM per if A-Rod gets suspended there would be plenty of money for both Cano and Infante.

• cackalackyank - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yes, stick to your guns Cashman. Keep making progress on filling those holes. It is going to take a lot more than “slightly” to keep Cano. Push the right buttons and the price will fall.

• 18thstreet - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM

That sounds right to me. It also sounds like a lot more than the second-place bidder would ever go.

6. seahawks80 - Nov 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He needs to cut his asking price in half.

7. sportsfan69 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I guess everybody is allow to dream….10 years / 300 million. Especially when he’s 37 years old making 30 million dollars playing third or DH.

8. coltzfan166 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Yeah, $310 million is just not gonna happen. He’ll be lucky to get half of that from any franchise.

9. andreweac - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM

braves and Orioles aren’t realistic.

Atlanta has a terrible TV contract.

10. jfk69 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

While I understand putting a crazy amount on Cano to garner media attention and start the process. The fact remains nobody put a number out there but the Yankees. At some point reality will set in and the face saving will begin. Jazzy is great manipulator and learned his lessons well from his dealing days. Just look at when he bought a tenth of ONE share in the Nets. If you didn’t know better. You would think he owned the team. His team needs another REAL offer to fully utilize his skill set. Without that. Cano will wish he kept Boras.

11. jfk69 - Nov 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Jazzy now using Japanese yen to slightly lower asking price on Cano. Hidden message there??

12. tryclyde - Nov 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

A 10-year contract is NEVER going to happen. Jay-Z will only accept a contract from NY or LA. Since the Dodgers, Angels, or Mets are probably not going after him, he’s most likely going to have to accept an offer from the Yankees. $175 million for 7 years, TOPS. He’s not worth more than that.

13. 22yearsagotoday - Nov 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

He’ll take 10,999,999 instead of 11,000,000.

14. sawxalicious - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Jay-Z: “we’ll take $309 million…and we shall require a shrubbery!”

15. macjacmccoy - Nov 28, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Is he serious? What does he think hes gonna get like $38m a year or something? The guy is high. $175m is pushing it. That amount would still kill a franchise for 3 or 4 years at the end of the contract. Can you imagine how long it would take to come back from another $110m?

Well you probably dont have to imagine to hard, just every October until 2020 pull up the Angels stats and win/loss record, that will give you a pretty good idea.

All I know is that it’s a bad idea to give Cano anything more than half of what hes asking for.

16. mvd513 - Nov 28, 2013 at 5:53 AM

You’re 31. You made what, 15 million in 2013? You should feel blessed by the Yankees offer. 5 yrs, 100 million. Not the greatest damn player of all time.

17. mcsuave - Nov 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

7 yrs and 150 is more then fair for Cano. I’m a New Yorker and a Yankee fan and I feel he doesn’t have the characteristics of a leader. We’ve seen him numerous times not hustle or run out grounders. This went on during a contract year. What happens after he gets his money?

18. moenrosanne - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

my best friend’s mom makes $67 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for eight months but last month her pay check was $17002 just working on the laptop for a few hours. see this ………….>http://qr.net/l5M4

19. anxovies - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I agree with the commenter who mentioned signing Infante. If the Yanks sign Uribe or Infante Cano’s price goes down drastically. It might be worth signing one of them even if they have to overpay a bit. And last season demonstrated that you can’t have too many infielders when your third baseman and shortstop are pushing 40.

20. jfk69 - Nov 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Cano should feel blessed. The Yankees are giving him a chance at 38 to collect another mega buck contract. With inflation he should be then able to sign a two year deal for 600 million..

21. American of African Descent - Nov 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM

If I’m Cano and don’t get at least what Texiera gets, I leave for another team, even if it’s for less money than the Yankees would ultimately pay. If I’m the best player on my team going into my free agent year, there’s no way that someone else on that same team is going to be more highly paid.

22. bunkerhillbob - Nov 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

He’s a year older than Pedroia and wants to be paid nearly three times more. Ah, ok; I heard people in Hell want ice water, too.

23. scoobies05 - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

the 30 million a year demand, while pretty absurd on its own, isnt even the most ridiculous part of his demands. why would anyone give a 30 year old a 10 year deal. trout, harper, machado…those guys are the ones who should be getting longer deals, not guys who will be on the downside of their careers at the end of their contracts

24. pftfan - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Prediction: Cano resigns with the Yanks 7 yrs/$175M ($25M annual).

25. spacemaker101 - Nov 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM