The Orioles will listen to offers for Jim Johnson

Nov 27, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT

Jim Johnson Getty Getty Images

Buster Olney reports that the Orioles are listening to offers for closer Jim Johnson.

He’s a Proven Closer, so maybe someone will bite. But the fact is that Johnson is going to get a big arbitration award this year and, big save numbers notwithstanding, is not some irreplaceable commodity. Of course, this isn’t 2001 anymore so it won’t be easy for Dan Duquette to find another GM who doesn’t know those things too. He may get offers, but they won’t be big.

Johnson led the league in saves with 51 in 2012 and 50 this past season. But he also led the league in blown saves in 2013.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Nov 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I don’t see the O’s getting much of a return for him. He’s coming off a slightly off year (Still a good year, but not as good as the year previous), and he’s about to be paid absurd amounts of money for a closer. They would want a significant return, which they won’t get. But they’d be fools not to at least listen.

As a GM, I’d make it clear that I’d listen to offers for ANY player at ANY time, no matter what. Of course, some players might take an unreasonable offer, but that’s the way it goes.

2. sdelmonte - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

All Duquette needs to find is one stupid GM. There are always a few of them around.

• paperlions - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Well, yeah, but he is one of them, and another one already has an expensive closer locked up long term.

The problem is really one of value. A typical “closer” pitches about 4% of a teams innings, takes 0% of at bats, and is responsible for nearly 0% of the fielding. Do you want to pay that player 10% of the team’s salary? No matter how good he is, that is just really really poor resource management.

• sdelmonte - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Oh, I agree. But I know from bitter Citi Field experience how often a GM does just that. (I hope those days are over, but the memory of K-Rod still lingers.)

• paperlions - Nov 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I hope that wound heals and the scar fades.

3. uyf1950 - Nov 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I’m not exactly sure why teams would trade for Johnson with so many other closers on the market. I just don’t see it unless the O’s are looking for virtually nothing in return.

4. pdowdy83 - Nov 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

With the Orioles budget I just don’t see why he isn’t a non-tender candidate. If you can’t get anything in a trade for him it doesn’t mean you should alocate over 10% of your resources to him. There are several (cheaper) alternatives on the open market that if given the ridiculous number of save opurtunities that Johnson got could save as many games.

5. rwlsports - Nov 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I think the Orioles could get some starting pitching in return, other than that, they really don’t need much. Maybe bullpen.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3222)