Nov 27, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
He’s a Proven Closer, so maybe someone will bite. But the fact is that Johnson is going to get a big arbitration award this year and, big save numbers notwithstanding, is not some irreplaceable commodity. Of course, this isn’t 2001 anymore so it won’t be easy for Dan Duquette to find another GM who doesn’t know those things too. He may get offers, but they won’t be big.
Johnson led the league in saves with 51 in 2012 and 50 this past season. But he also led the league in blown saves in 2013.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)