Nov 29, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Yesterday we learned that it was close, today it happened: The Giants and Ryan Vogelsong have reached agreement on a one-year deal. The details have yet to be released, but it was reported that the sides were discussing a deal north of $3 million base with incentives that could take it up in the $7-8 million range. He had a $6.5 million option for 2014 which the Giants recently declined.
2013 was rough for Vogelsong. He posted a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts with his velocity and strikeout rates each declining sharply. Still, he’s expected to only be the fifth starter, so as long as he stays healthy and eats innings, he’ll be useful.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (241)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)