Nov 29, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Yesterday we learned that it was close, today it happened: The Giants and Ryan Vogelsong have reached agreement on a one-year deal. The details have yet to be released, but it was reported that the sides were discussing a deal north of $3 million base with incentives that could take it up in the $7-8 million range. He had a $6.5 million option for 2014 which the Giants recently declined.
2013 was rough for Vogelsong. He posted a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts with his velocity and strikeout rates each declining sharply. Still, he’s expected to only be the fifth starter, so as long as he stays healthy and eats innings, he’ll be useful.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)