Nov 29, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
Yesterday we learned that it was close, today it happened: The Giants and Ryan Vogelsong have reached agreement on a one-year deal. The details have yet to be released, but it was reported that the sides were discussing a deal north of $3 million base with incentives that could take it up in the $7-8 million range. He had a $6.5 million option for 2014 which the Giants recently declined.
2013 was rough for Vogelsong. He posted a 5.73 ERA in 19 starts with his velocity and strikeout rates each declining sharply. Still, he’s expected to only be the fifth starter, so as long as he stays healthy and eats innings, he’ll be useful.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)