Nov 29, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
The Rays have re-signed reliever Juan Carlos Oviedo, formerly known as Leo Nunez, reports Mark Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times. The right-hander hasn’t pitched in the Majors since 2011 with the Marlins.
Oviedo will turn 32 years old on March 15. He was signed by the Rays prior to the start of the 2013 season even though he was recovering from Tommy John surgery. He missed the entire season and threw all of three pitches in 2012 — 2.2 innings with Single-A Jupiter and 0.1 innings with Triple-A New Orleans.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)