Nov 29, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
The Royals just made a big announcement. And you know it’s big because they released it in the afternoon of the Friday where fewer people are paying attention to any baseball news of any Friday whatsoever:
#Royals and GM Dayton Moore agree to a two-year extension, which runs through the 2016 season.
— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) November 29, 2013
Moore was hired in 2006, so this extension allows him to complete that ten-year rebuilding plan he’s been working on. But really, good for Moore. This has to be like winning the World Series for him or something. Again.
In all seriousness: The Royals had a pretty good year and their farm system has a lot of talent in it. Moore has taken a lot of lumps for moves he’s made with the big league club — and for how long even improvement to a .500+ team has taken — but in the past year or two more things have gone right than wrong. For a team that has been mired in futility that’s not nothing.
I just can’t imagine that he’d have been kept on the job as long as he has been in order to turn things around.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)