Nov 29, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Royals just made a big announcement. And you know it’s big because they released it in the afternoon of the Friday where fewer people are paying attention to any baseball news of any Friday whatsoever:
#Royals and GM Dayton Moore agree to a two-year extension, which runs through the 2016 season.
— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) November 29, 2013
Moore was hired in 2006, so this extension allows him to complete that ten-year rebuilding plan he’s been working on. But really, good for Moore. This has to be like winning the World Series for him or something. Again.
In all seriousness: The Royals had a pretty good year and their farm system has a lot of talent in it. Moore has taken a lot of lumps for moves he’s made with the big league club — and for how long even improvement to a .500+ team has taken — but in the past year or two more things have gone right than wrong. For a team that has been mired in futility that’s not nothing.
I just can’t imagine that he’d have been kept on the job as long as he has been in order to turn things around.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)