Nov 29, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Royals just made a big announcement. And you know it’s big because they released it in the afternoon of the Friday where fewer people are paying attention to any baseball news of any Friday whatsoever:
#Royals and GM Dayton Moore agree to a two-year extension, which runs through the 2016 season.
— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) November 29, 2013
Moore was hired in 2006, so this extension allows him to complete that ten-year rebuilding plan he’s been working on. But really, good for Moore. This has to be like winning the World Series for him or something. Again.
In all seriousness: The Royals had a pretty good year and their farm system has a lot of talent in it. Moore has taken a lot of lumps for moves he’s made with the big league club — and for how long even improvement to a .500+ team has taken — but in the past year or two more things have gone right than wrong. For a team that has been mired in futility that’s not nothing.
I just can’t imagine that he’d have been kept on the job as long as he has been in order to turn things around.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)