Nov 29, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Royals just made a big announcement. And you know it’s big because they released it in the afternoon of the Friday where fewer people are paying attention to any baseball news of any Friday whatsoever:
#Royals and GM Dayton Moore agree to a two-year extension, which runs through the 2016 season.
— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) November 29, 2013
Moore was hired in 2006, so this extension allows him to complete that ten-year rebuilding plan he’s been working on. But really, good for Moore. This has to be like winning the World Series for him or something. Again.
In all seriousness: The Royals had a pretty good year and their farm system has a lot of talent in it. Moore has taken a lot of lumps for moves he’s made with the big league club — and for how long even improvement to a .500+ team has taken — but in the past year or two more things have gone right than wrong. For a team that has been mired in futility that’s not nothing.
I just can’t imagine that he’d have been kept on the job as long as he has been in order to turn things around.
- Rangers call up power-hitting top prospect Joey Gallo 6
- American League All-Star voting update: Royals players still rule the roost 35
- Jose Fernandez cleared for rehab assignment in comeback from Tommy John surgery 10
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 150
- Johnny Cueto to return to Reds’ rotation Tuesday 3
- Khris Davis has a torn meniscus in his right knee 8
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 3
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 12
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (87)