The Twins haven’t given up on Bronson Arroyo yet

Nov 29, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT

bronson arroyo getty Getty Images

This blog is quickly becoming “TwinsStartingPitcherTalk,” isn’t it? Oh well, nothing else going on.

MLB Daily Dish’s Chris Cotillo reports that the Twins’ signing of Ricky Nolasco does not end their pursuit of free agent starter Bronson Arroyo. Which flows nicely with the idea of them chasing Phil Hughes too. They need two pitchers, it seems. Or as Cotillo’s source put it, they want 400 innings.

Arroyo posted a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio over 32 starts with the Reds this past season and has put up around 200 innings or more for nine straight years. He may not be exciting, but he’s definitely an upgrade over what the Twins have been trotting out in their pretty awful rotation.

1. dan1111 - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:09 AM

In each of his last two seasons, Arroyo has made 32 starts, pitched exactly 202 innings, thrown one shutout, and been 2 games over .500. His ERA only differed by .05. He gave up one more earned run this season, but walked one less batter. His WHIP and K/BB between the two seasons are both within .04.

I guess the Twins like consistency.

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I liked him with the Red Sox and have been rooting for him even more since they made the classy move of trading him as soon as he signed a contract at a hometown discount rate. He has surely made them regret that and then some. May his success continue wherever he ends up.

2. proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

How soon will it be before someone reports that the Twins are also interested in Joba?

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Hey PC, you’re stepping outside your comfort zone and commenting on the Tweenkies lately. I wondered about that until I realized that with all that white crap on the ground you probably just mistook Minnesota for home or something.

BTW speaking of white crap on the ground, it was a bit of a shock to walk out of my hotel up by Pearson last Saturday morning and find it all over the place. My Toronto local pals were making fun of my thermals on Friday evening. They were kinda shtum about it on Saturday. Now, floating in my swimming pool, reading reviews of the Kennedy Suite performances through my sunglasses, I gotta wonder what they’re wearing today.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Just a light dusting of snow in the Toronto area. I live just north of the airport.. Ottawa got hit by snow a lot worse. I did decide to listen to Sinatra sing “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow”. On Dec 1, I will probably listen to “Santa Baby”.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I love those funny films on National Geographic of the ottawas playing in the water and sliding down the ice chutes. They look like they know how to have more fun than beavers – and from what I can tell, they’re not equipped to do heavy construction like beavers. Maybe you should be out trapping ottawas instead.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Well I live about 15 minutes from the Airport, also North but then adjust east towards Woodbridge and Vaughan. We have a similar annoying white dust on the ground I’ve been told is snow.

What you wear depends greatly on whether you are taking your car or public transportation.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Hello Gator. I like Ottawa and have lived there, but it gets too cold and snowy in winter for me. I did have a successful trapping expedition today without going to Ottawa.

• nbjays - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Are the Twins really so desperate as to be interested in Joba?

No white crap on the ground here in NB,Gator… yet… although the -20C windchill last night was NOT really pleasant. That will change this weekend… snow is forecast starting Sunday, with up to half a meter of the white crap by Wednesday. Time to swap out the mower deck on the lawn tractor for the snowblower. Ugh!

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM

We are supposed to be in the 60′s (F) here most of the week.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM

nb – do low temperatures affect the output of seafood chowder up there? It would be a pity. That stuff you guys crank out is fantastic – it managed to warm us in the middle of the summer.

Sounds like time to stock up on generic brown gravy, cheese curds and french fries.

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM

PS – I actually broke down and tried the smoked meat poutine at Caplansky’s last weekend. Dear Buddha had to sit by helplessly in his sublime nonbeing and watch the last vestiges of vegetarianism in his beloved acolyte get stomped graveyard dead. Wowzer, that is good stuff.

Pardon me for breaking off here, but I have an appointment with my cardiologist.

• nbjays - Nov 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Actually, Gator, the low temps IMPROVE the chowder. We leave it simmering longer because having a burner on helps warm the house. :-)

• pisano - Nov 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM

proudly…. how would be if Arroyo, Hughes, and Joba were on the same staff? Let the fireworks begin!

• proudlycanadian - Nov 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Bombs away!

3. credible316 - Nov 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I’d hate to be around the Pohlads when they figure out their checkbook has been stolen and especially when they see that free agents were signed with it. LOOK OUT!!

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I sailed between the Pohlads on my last Baltic cruise. Yeah, they looked as pissed off as in the old myths.

4. historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I so wanted the to say “Bronson Pinchot” instead.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Black Friday! Shouldn’t you be out shopping right now?

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

No, I’m old school. I wait until after Dec. 1st…and I only buy what I have cash for. Plus, I have leftovers to work on!

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I wait until Dec 26.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Ha!

• Old Gator - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM

No, no, Histy, he’s just being sane. I barely made it out of Publix alive on Wednesday – the local Mercedes mamas and Beemer babes were abroad in the aisles, getting in their Buck Friday practice with their Messala chariot hubcap elbow guards and Rosa Klebb shoe daggers. It will be much safer to stay home.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Those Rosa Klebb shoes are deadly.

5. sometogethernow - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I dunno, I understand that dependability and innings are high priority for the Twins right now (per the “400 innings” comment above), but I feel like they covered the “OK-not-great pitcher but he’ll give you reliable innings” base with Nolasco and it’d be nice for the next signing to play more for upside, even if it’s a more unpredictable pitcher. Kazmir and even Hughes look better on this count; Arroyo is underwhelming.

• dan1111 - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The Twins only had one starter who pitched more than 160 innings. Out of only three pitchers who managed 20 starts, two had ERAs of 5.19 and 5.43. And they had FIVE other guys who made at least 8 starts and had ERAs of 5.95 or higher.

Normally signing average pitchers has limited upside because teams have other average pitchers around. Not the Twins–they really do have that many holes. I do agree that they should make a riskier, high-upside signing. But given the state of their rotation, they should do both.

6. pisano - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Good God, imagine Arroyo, Hughes, and if they really want to put a HR show on, they could contact Joba to see if he’s interested.

• historiophiliac - Nov 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Miguel Cabrera approves of these moves.

7. thepittsburghkid - Nov 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Why? I have.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4937)