Nov 30, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Williams’ agent has clarified his comments, saying that his client would be happy to accept any role the Angels give him, but feels confident that he would have appeal as a starting pitcher if he is non-tendered and hits free agency.
1:55 p.m ET: Monday is the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players on their 40-man rosters. And Angels right-hander Jerome Williams is one player who hopes to get a chance to test the open market. Or at least that’s what his agent is saying.
Williams, who turns 32 next week, had a 4.57 ERA and 107/55 K/BB ratio in 169 1/3 innings over 25 starts and 12 relief appearances this past season. MLB Trade Rumors estimates that his salary will rise to $3.9 million for his second year of arbitration, which could be a little too rich for the Angels if they merely see him as a swingman/long reliever. Williams has been more effective in relief, but his agent understandably wants to market him as a starter.
Tommy Hanson is also a non-tender candidate for the Angels after he was knocked around to the tune of a 5.42 ERA over 13 starts and two relief appearances this year. Like Williams, MLB Trade Rumors has him projected to make $3.9 million in 2014.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (326)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)