Nov 30, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Williams’ agent has clarified his comments, saying that his client would be happy to accept any role the Angels give him, but feels confident that he would have appeal as a starting pitcher if he is non-tendered and hits free agency.
1:55 p.m ET: Monday is the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players on their 40-man rosters. And Angels right-hander Jerome Williams is one player who hopes to get a chance to test the open market. Or at least that’s what his agent is saying.
Williams, who turns 32 next week, had a 4.57 ERA and 107/55 K/BB ratio in 169 1/3 innings over 25 starts and 12 relief appearances this past season. MLB Trade Rumors estimates that his salary will rise to $3.9 million for his second year of arbitration, which could be a little too rich for the Angels if they merely see him as a swingman/long reliever. Williams has been more effective in relief, but his agent understandably wants to market him as a starter.
Tommy Hanson is also a non-tender candidate for the Angels after he was knocked around to the tune of a 5.42 ERA over 13 starts and two relief appearances this year. Like Williams, MLB Trade Rumors has him projected to make $3.9 million in 2014.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)