Nov 30, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
UPDATE: Williams’ agent has clarified his comments, saying that his client would be happy to accept any role the Angels give him, but feels confident that he would have appeal as a starting pitcher if he is non-tendered and hits free agency.
1:55 p.m ET: Monday is the deadline for teams to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players on their 40-man rosters. And Angels right-hander Jerome Williams is one player who hopes to get a chance to test the open market. Or at least that’s what his agent is saying.
Williams, who turns 32 next week, had a 4.57 ERA and 107/55 K/BB ratio in 169 1/3 innings over 25 starts and 12 relief appearances this past season. MLB Trade Rumors estimates that his salary will rise to $3.9 million for his second year of arbitration, which could be a little too rich for the Angels if they merely see him as a swingman/long reliever. Williams has been more effective in relief, but his agent understandably wants to market him as a starter.
Tommy Hanson is also a non-tender candidate for the Angels after he was knocked around to the tune of a 5.42 ERA over 13 starts and two relief appearances this year. Like Williams, MLB Trade Rumors has him projected to make $3.9 million in 2014.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)