Nov 30, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Mets general manager Sandy Alderson plans to meet with Arroyo at the pitcher’s home in Florida next week. Alderson contacted Arroyo’s representatives on Wednesday to arrange the meeting.
3:00 p.m. ET: It was reported on Thanksgiving that the Twins were still pursuing Bronson Arroyo even after adding Ricky Nolasco and now Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish hears that the Mets are “heavily involved” in talks with the free agent right-hander.
No deal is believed to be imminent, but Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has expressed interest in meeting with Arroyo in the near future. That could happen before or during the Winter Meetings, which will take place from December 9-12 in Orlando.
As of now, the only locks for the Mets’ rotation are Jon Niese, Dillon Gee, and Zack Wheeler, so adding a veteran innings-eater like Arroyo could make sense if the price is right. However, it’s unclear where he falls on their priority list this winter, as they also have a clear need for offense.
Cotillo hears that the Angels are also involved for Arroyo, though they haven’t been nearly as aggressive as the Twins and Mets. Meanwhile, the Yankees intend to wait things out with Masahiro Tanaka and Hiroki Kuroda before seeing where they stand.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)