Nov 30, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Mets general manager Sandy Alderson plans to meet with Arroyo at the pitcher’s home in Florida next week. Alderson contacted Arroyo’s representatives on Wednesday to arrange the meeting.
3:00 p.m. ET: It was reported on Thanksgiving that the Twins were still pursuing Bronson Arroyo even after adding Ricky Nolasco and now Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish hears that the Mets are “heavily involved” in talks with the free agent right-hander.
No deal is believed to be imminent, but Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has expressed interest in meeting with Arroyo in the near future. That could happen before or during the Winter Meetings, which will take place from December 9-12 in Orlando.
As of now, the only locks for the Mets’ rotation are Jon Niese, Dillon Gee, and Zack Wheeler, so adding a veteran innings-eater like Arroyo could make sense if the price is right. However, it’s unclear where he falls on their priority list this winter, as they also have a clear need for offense.
Cotillo hears that the Angels are also involved for Arroyo, though they haven’t been nearly as aggressive as the Twins and Mets. Meanwhile, the Yankees intend to wait things out with Masahiro Tanaka and Hiroki Kuroda before seeing where they stand.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 23
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)