Nov 30, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
We’ve heard for a while that Robinson Cano hoped to land a 10-year, $310 million contract from the Yankees. It doesn’t matter much now, since it never had much of a chance of becoming a reality, but Cano told Dominican website El Dia that he never asked for the much-talked about $300 million deal.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News has the translated quotes:
“I’ve never asked anybody for $300 million,” the free agent second baseman told the Dominican website El Dia on Thursday, during a ceremony to honor the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic Championship earlier this year.
Cano went on to say in Spanish that “nobody has ever heard that come out of my mouth ($300 million) and you’re never going to hear it.”
As Martino writes in the story, chances are Cano is getting by on a technicality here. He may have never asked for $300 million directly, but from all accounts, that was the request from his representatives earlier this year. There have been some conflicting reports about how long they held firm on that number, but it seems they were more realistic during a meeting with the Yankees earlier this week. Still, the gap between the two sides is said to be “very substantial.” While the two sides are expected to meet again on Monday, we might be waiting a while for resolution with this one.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (198)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)