Nov 30, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
We’ve heard for a while that Robinson Cano hoped to land a 10-year, $310 million contract from the Yankees. It doesn’t matter much now, since it never had much of a chance of becoming a reality, but Cano told Dominican website El Dia that he never asked for the much-talked about $300 million deal.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News has the translated quotes:
“I’ve never asked anybody for $300 million,” the free agent second baseman told the Dominican website El Dia on Thursday, during a ceremony to honor the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic Championship earlier this year.
Cano went on to say in Spanish that “nobody has ever heard that come out of my mouth ($300 million) and you’re never going to hear it.”
As Martino writes in the story, chances are Cano is getting by on a technicality here. He may have never asked for $300 million directly, but from all accounts, that was the request from his representatives earlier this year. There have been some conflicting reports about how long they held firm on that number, but it seems they were more realistic during a meeting with the Yankees earlier this week. Still, the gap between the two sides is said to be “very substantial.” While the two sides are expected to meet again on Monday, we might be waiting a while for resolution with this one.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)