Nov 30, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
We’ve heard for a while that Robinson Cano hoped to land a 10-year, $310 million contract from the Yankees. It doesn’t matter much now, since it never had much of a chance of becoming a reality, but Cano told Dominican website El Dia that he never asked for the much-talked about $300 million deal.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News has the translated quotes:
“I’ve never asked anybody for $300 million,” the free agent second baseman told the Dominican website El Dia on Thursday, during a ceremony to honor the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic Championship earlier this year.
Cano went on to say in Spanish that “nobody has ever heard that come out of my mouth ($300 million) and you’re never going to hear it.”
As Martino writes in the story, chances are Cano is getting by on a technicality here. He may have never asked for $300 million directly, but from all accounts, that was the request from his representatives earlier this year. There have been some conflicting reports about how long they held firm on that number, but it seems they were more realistic during a meeting with the Yankees earlier this week. Still, the gap between the two sides is said to be “very substantial.” While the two sides are expected to meet again on Monday, we might be waiting a while for resolution with this one.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27