Nov 30, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
According to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star, the Royals “insist” that they will pursue Beltran and appear willing to meet his preference of a three-year contract. This comes on the heels of CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman pegging the club as a “serious threat” last weekend.
“We’d love to have him in,” one Royals official said. “One thing about Carlos Beltran is he’s a money player. He’s an RBI guy. He produces.”
As these things usually go, it will all come down to money. With that in mind, the Royals would likely have to shed payroll in order to make room for Beltran. Dutton speculates that Billy Butler could be at the top of the list of available players, along with some of their high-priced relievers. Still, with the Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox, Rangers, Orioles and Mariners all in the mix for Beltran, the bidding could climb higher than the Royals are willing to go.
Beltran, who turns 37 in April, batted .296/.339/.491 with 24 home runs and 84 RBI over 145 games this past season. He spent the first seven years of his career in Kansas City, so if he can return to his roots and remain healthy and productive into his late-30s, it would pretty much clinch him going into the Hall of Fame in a Royals cap.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)