Nov 30, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Newark Bears are no longer part of the Canadian American League, an independent league. As a result, their future is very much in question, writes David Giambusso of The Star-Ledger. The Bears have had problems for a while now, drawing fewer than 500 fans per game while putting together losing teams.
Due to the uncertainty, the Bears’ owners informed Commissioner Miles Wolff that they would not field a team for the 2014 season, a decision that Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo did not like:
DiVincenzo, who has expressed frustration in the past with Bears’ ownership, said it did not matter what league the team plays in, provided there is something for fans to come see.
“I don’t care as long as we’re playing baseball,” DiVincenzo said. “I don’t want the stadium to go black.”
The team is so cash-strapped and mired in debt they “didn’t have the funds to invest in staff and marketing,” as co-owner Danielle Dronet put it. Dronet is hoping to find new investors to help breathe fresh life into the team. Additionally, they’ll have to change their marketing plan from beer pong for Mothers Against Drunk Driving and a fake Justin Bieber concert to something legitimate.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)