Nov 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Hey, there’s nothing going on in the baseball world right now, so why the heck not?
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller wed his girlfriend of two years, Amy Peters, earlier this month in Missouri. And the wedding got a rather lengthy (around 1,400 words, actually) write-up in the New York Times.
As you’ll see in a little snippet below, it has all the trappings of your typical New York Times wedding announcement:
For the last two and a half years, Ms. Peters, 22, has been Mr. Miller’s most loyal cheerleader. They met in June 2011, when he began playing for the Springfield Cardinals, a minor league team; Ms. Peters was a member of its cheering squad. “We had to sign a piece of paper telling us we could not socialize with the players,” she said. “I’ve always been really bad at following rules.”
Their love story began like that of many couples barely out of their teens: physical attraction, similar personalities and a lot of chemistry. But they would soon test whether their bond was strong enough to survive the world of professional baseball.
“I had noticed immediately that Amy was beautiful,” Mr. Miller said, and he was drawn to her lively and outgoing personality. He wasted no time in calling her — despite the fact that he had recently started casually dating someone else.
There’s a lot more where that came from. A lot. Basically, get ready to learn more about Miller than you ever cared to know.
If anything, Miller managed to use the announcement as a dig at the Cardinals for not using him during the playoffs. So in that case, well done. Congratulations to the new couple.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)