Nov 30, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Hey, there’s nothing going on in the baseball world right now, so why the heck not?
Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller wed his girlfriend of two years, Amy Peters, earlier this month in Missouri. And the wedding got a rather lengthy (around 1,400 words, actually) write-up in the New York Times.
As you’ll see in a little snippet below, it has all the trappings of your typical New York Times wedding announcement:
For the last two and a half years, Ms. Peters, 22, has been Mr. Miller’s most loyal cheerleader. They met in June 2011, when he began playing for the Springfield Cardinals, a minor league team; Ms. Peters was a member of its cheering squad. “We had to sign a piece of paper telling us we could not socialize with the players,” she said. “I’ve always been really bad at following rules.”
Their love story began like that of many couples barely out of their teens: physical attraction, similar personalities and a lot of chemistry. But they would soon test whether their bond was strong enough to survive the world of professional baseball.
“I had noticed immediately that Amy was beautiful,” Mr. Miller said, and he was drawn to her lively and outgoing personality. He wasted no time in calling her — despite the fact that he had recently started casually dating someone else.
There’s a lot more where that came from. A lot. Basically, get ready to learn more about Miller than you ever cared to know.
If anything, Miller managed to use the announcement as a dig at the Cardinals for not using him during the playoffs. So in that case, well done. Congratulations to the new couple.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)