Dec 1, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Braves lost free agent catcher Brian McCann to the Yankees and they have yet to make any signings this off-season, but they stand to make a ton of news as they make decisions about their many arbitration eligible players. Based on Matt Swartz’s arbitration salary projections at MLB Trade Rumors, Mike Axisa of CBS Sports writes that the Braves’ 13 arbitration-eligible players are projected to earn a total of nearly $37 million in 2014, a salary increase of $22 million over the past season.
Craig Kimbrel is projected to see the biggest jump in salary, going from $655,000 last season to a projected $7.25 million in 2014. Freddie Freeman will see a marked increase as well, moving from $560,000 to a projected $4.9 million. Non-tender candidates include Elliot Johnson, Ramiro Pena, and Paul Janish, but they represent a very insignificant slice of the pie.
After the Braves tender contracts to the crowd, their next big move appears to be moving second baseman Dan Uggla and as much of his remaining $26 million as possible. They could also be in the hunt for a veteran starter to take over for Tim Hudson, who signed with the Giants.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 26
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)