Dec 1, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The Braves lost free agent catcher Brian McCann to the Yankees and they have yet to make any signings this off-season, but they stand to make a ton of news as they make decisions about their many arbitration eligible players. Based on Matt Swartz’s arbitration salary projections at MLB Trade Rumors, Mike Axisa of CBS Sports writes that the Braves’ 13 arbitration-eligible players are projected to earn a total of nearly $37 million in 2014, a salary increase of $22 million over the past season.
Craig Kimbrel is projected to see the biggest jump in salary, going from $655,000 last season to a projected $7.25 million in 2014. Freddie Freeman will see a marked increase as well, moving from $560,000 to a projected $4.9 million. Non-tender candidates include Elliot Johnson, Ramiro Pena, and Paul Janish, but they represent a very insignificant slice of the pie.
After the Braves tender contracts to the crowd, their next big move appears to be moving second baseman Dan Uggla and as much of his remaining $26 million as possible. They could also be in the hunt for a veteran starter to take over for Tim Hudson, who signed with the Giants.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)