Dec 1, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
Following the blockbuster trade that sent first baseman Prince Fielder to the Rangers and second baseman Ian Kinsler to the Tigers, everyone on the planet simply assumed that Miguel Cabrera would move over from third base to first base while prospect Nick Castellanos would take over at third. It makes sense, as Cabrera was becoming statuesque in the field due to a groin injury.
Not so fast. Tigers president and GM Dave Dombrowski told the Detroit News, “We are not prepared to answer that question yet.” The question, of course, being “will Miguel Cabrera move to first base?”
Ostensibly, Dombrowski was unwilling to commit to the idea because the Tigers have various ways to amalgamate Cabrera, Castellanos, and Victor Martinez into their lineup, including ways that leave Cabrera at third base. But reports out of Venezuela say that Cabrera informed the organization that he is open to moving back to first base, which would presumably be less physically taxing and thus extend his career a bit longer. The Tigers are, after all, considering signing Cabrera to an extension before his contract runs out in 2015.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)