Dec 1, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Outfielder Drew Stubbs is in line for a raise on his $2.825 million salary in 2013 as he is eligible for arbitration for the second of three years. Despite a solidified outfield with Michael Brantley in left, Michael Bourn in center, and the recently-signed David Murphy in right, the Indians are expected to tender Stubbs a contract, according to MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian. He would serve in a back-up role, but the Indians could always trade him at some point as well.
Depending on how much credit you give him defensively, Stubbs has mostly graded out somewhere between replacement level and average, according to both versions of Wins Above Replacement (2.0 is average) on FanGraphs and Baseball Reference. He finished 2013 with a lackluster .233/.305/.360 line but stole 17 bases in 19 attempts and has stolen as many as 40 bases in the past with the Reds.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)