Dec 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It was pretty sad when the Tigers gave Jose Iglesias number 1 last year. That’s so totally Lou Whitaker’s number. This is even sadder:
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) December 2, 2013
That’s Alan Trammell, baby. And yes I’m totally non-objective here, as Trammel was my favorite player on the planet when I was a kid. But still. And yes I know that Gary Sheffield wore it too, but two wrongs don’t make a right.
I suppose the Tigers must have a rule that only players who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame can have their numbers retired. If so, it’s a dumb rule. Why should the Tigers institutionalize the Hall of Fame voters’ criminal overlook of Trammell and Whitaker as Hall of Famers? If anything, the Tigers should underscore just how important those two were to the organization as a direct rebuke to Hall of Fame voters.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 27
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)