Dec 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It was pretty sad when the Tigers gave Jose Iglesias number 1 last year. That’s so totally Lou Whitaker’s number. This is even sadder:
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) December 2, 2013
That’s Alan Trammell, baby. And yes I’m totally non-objective here, as Trammel was my favorite player on the planet when I was a kid. But still. And yes I know that Gary Sheffield wore it too, but two wrongs don’t make a right.
I suppose the Tigers must have a rule that only players who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame can have their numbers retired. If so, it’s a dumb rule. Why should the Tigers institutionalize the Hall of Fame voters’ criminal overlook of Trammell and Whitaker as Hall of Famers? If anything, the Tigers should underscore just how important those two were to the organization as a direct rebuke to Hall of Fame voters.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17