Alan who? Ian Kinsler to wear number 3 for the Tigers

Dec 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

It was pretty sad when the Tigers gave Jose Iglesias number 1 last year. That’s so totally Lou Whitaker’s number. This is even sadder:

That’s Alan Trammell, baby. And yes I’m totally non-objective here, as Trammel was my favorite player on the planet when I was a kid. But still. And yes I know that Gary Sheffield wore it too, but two wrongs don’t make a right.

I suppose the Tigers must have a rule that only players who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame can have their numbers retired. If so, it’s a dumb rule. Why should the Tigers institutionalize the Hall of Fame voters’ criminal overlook of Trammell and Whitaker as Hall of Famers? If anything, the Tigers should underscore just how important those two were to the organization as a direct rebuke to Hall of Fame voters.

Oh well.

1. georgewashingtonsghost - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I wish they’d switch them so that shortstop is #3 and the second baseman wears #1. At least then there would be something poetic about it.

• lisaggamino - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

my friend’s step-aunt makes 82 usd an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for six months but last month her paycheck was 20264 usd just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to website.//====..xurl.es/plh7x

2. gothapotamus90210 - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

If they wanted to give him a sacred Tigers jersey number, they should have went ahead and given him Hank Greenberg’s #5 given the religious ties.

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

And on the back of the jersey they could write “YID.”

(sarcasm font)

3. yournuts - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Hammering Hank Greenberg was the greatest Tiger, better than Al Kaline.

• aiede - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Ty Cobb would like a word.

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

And that word is [expletive].

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Jack Morris was the best Tiger ever.

4. jsak001 - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

“I suppose the Tigers must have a rule that only players who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame can have their numbers retired.”

Willie Horton’s number 23 is retired and he’s far from a Hall of Famer…

• aiede - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

“Who’ve been inducted into the Hall of Fame or tried to stop a riot while wearing his uniform.”

• hoopmatch - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Maybe you have to have a statue in Comerica Park to have your number retired by Le Tigres.

5. papacrick - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM

It’s amazing that Trammel is not in the HOF with those numbers and consistency as a shortstop. How the heck do they qualify these writers as competent voters? They should have to know about other teams outside their local city as a prerequisite.

• frank433 - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Lou Whitaker was only on the ballot 1 year. Has to be one of the biggest snubs of all time.

• gloccamorra - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

In the inaugural HOF vote, 412 game winner Walter Johnson got 90% of the vote. 511 game winner Cy Young got 49% and had to wait until the following year. He then barely squeaked in with 76%.

Then there’s Rogers Hornsby, then the only two time triple crown winner, with the second highest career batting average behind Ty Cobb, who got 98%. He got 46% in 1936, 26% in 1937, was dropped from the ballot in 1938, came up short with 64% in 1939, there was no ballot in 1940-41 and made it in 1942 with just 78.1% of the votes.

He was the only one in 1942, but the next 29 who came up short all got in later, many of them by the Veterans’ Committee, cleaning up after the “baseball” writers.

6. pwshrugged - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I was disappointed when they gave Iglesias Whittaker’s #1 last season… this is just further disappointment, although I appreciate the poetry of a new 2B/SS combo wearing those numbers, even if they’re reversed this time around. But that doesn’t excuse the prevalent opinion that both numbers should and deserve to be retired by the Tigers. Oh well.

7. vincentbojackson - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

As a life long Tigers fan I get the importance of Tram and Sweet Lou. However, I don’t have a problem with this. I look at it as more of a tribute to them than a slight.

I’d like to think those Tiger icons will enjoy watching numbers 1 and 3 turning double plays like they did in the 80’s.

8. frank433 - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I wonder what they did to Illitch. It took until after Sparky Anderson died to get his number retired.

9. historiophiliac - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I found this very interesting:

"@tigers: Ian Kinsler will wear #3 for the #Tigers."mmmm# tramHOF.— Miguel Cabrera (@MiguelCabrera) December 2, 2013

10. maikoch - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM

‘roider.

11. yahmule - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I felt the same way when they reissued number 14 without any regard to John Wockenfuss.

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:41 PM

One of my favorite things about getting older is connecting the current players to the ones who used to wear the jersey. I swear, I still associate No. 39 on the Red Sox with Mike Greenwell. Didn’t matter how many times I saw Saltalamacchia at bat. I love this stuff.

• drewzducks - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Nice. Loved Greenie and a very personable guy. For some reason I equate 39 with Tim Blackwell. Guess it’s because he played in the first game I ever went to. Come to think of it, so did a rookie pitcher for Cleveland named Larry Anderson…

• 18thstreet - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM

When he was with the Red Sox, he lived in the town I lived in. I drove past his house all the time, but I never met him.

12. weaselpuppy - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Morris?- debatable for sure.

Freehan?- Better case than Morris. Consider his career was entirely in the Era of the Pitcher and look at those numbers again…

Tram and Lou are just plain incomprehensible. Tram has the same bWar as Jeter. He has double the number of 6+ WAR seasons as Jeter. He has the same WAR etc as Larkin. He’s a top 15 all time defensive AND offensive SS by fangraphs numbers. Whitaker has the highest bWAR of ANY PLAYER not in the hall that is eligible.

BBWAA=Jackwagons

13. rwlsports - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Ugh

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3035)