Dodgers in the mix for Jim Johnson

Dec 2, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

We mentioned last week that the Orioles were looking to trade Jim Johnson. Ken Rosenthal has an update:

Ten million and he would almost certainly not be the Dodgers’ closer. There aren’t many teams who can afford a $10 million setup man, but I guess the Dodgers are one. There also aren’t many teams who would want a $10 million setup man, whether they can afford it or not, but here we are.

1. alang3131982 - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Lemme finish that for you:

“In addition, there arent many teams that would want a $10 million Jim Johnson.”

• spudchukar - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Boy, that is where I was going too. $10 mil for a set-up guy who arguably isn’t an upgrade over League (average).

• alang3131982 - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I like Jim Johnson. I’m an orioles fan. I appreciate 2012 and he was good in 2013. But, his skills are replaceable and $10 million is just way too rich. Any money they can save, got to do it…

I’d be really happy if this happened….

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more Alang. It’s sad, because I really like JJ as a player, and as a person, but 10 million is just too damn much. I don’t blame him for taking it, or even for asking for it if he can get it, but nope, nope, nope.

• stex52 - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

He was too high at 6.5 last year. Orioles need to cut bait.

• lisaggamino - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM

—my friend’s step-aunt makes 82 usd an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for six months but last month her paycheck was 20264 usd just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to website.//===..xurl.es/plh7x

2. psuorioles - Dec 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Johnson for Kershaw straight up? I kid, I kid…

3. chukpark - Dec 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Geez. Makes no sense. As a Dodger fan, I’d much rather pay Brian Wilson $25 million for two years.

4. maikoch - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

‘roider.

5. spc7ray - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Why not Eithier for him straight up?

6. stevefrew - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yea ,,,thats Rosenthal for ya….Dude puts a different Oriole in a trade Rumor every week!!! First it was JJ Hardy, then Matt Wieters. Now hes going for strike three with Jim Johnson.. Yea im sure Dan Duquette calls him ands lets him know what the Orioles plans are….Jim Johnson isnt going anywhere. Orioles have no other option to close games…Wake Up !!

• pipkin42 - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The Orioles would be very smart to trade Hardy in this market, assuming Machado will be healthy enough to play short next year.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5567)