Dec 2, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
. . . know that, as of this writing, 29% of the fans in this ESPN poll would not vote for Greg Maddux this year. And 47% wouldn’t vote for Tom Glavine:
I saw some BBWAA members tweeting this around as evidence that maybe they don’t do so bad after all. And I suppose, on the whole, they don’t do this bad. But I do blame them for inserting the “but he’s not a first-ballot guy” into the minds of people. It’s a distinction that is utterly meaningless in the actual Hall of Fame, but for some reason it has been written about for years as some sort of special honor reserved for only an elite few.
Of course, Maddux is a member of any baseball elite you can think of, so I’m not sure why he gets this treatment. But that’s why I’ve always said: democracy is for suckers.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 0
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 2
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)