Dec 2, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
. . . know that, as of this writing, 29% of the fans in this ESPN poll would not vote for Greg Maddux this year. And 47% wouldn’t vote for Tom Glavine:
I saw some BBWAA members tweeting this around as evidence that maybe they don’t do so bad after all. And I suppose, on the whole, they don’t do this bad. But I do blame them for inserting the “but he’s not a first-ballot guy” into the minds of people. It’s a distinction that is utterly meaningless in the actual Hall of Fame, but for some reason it has been written about for years as some sort of special honor reserved for only an elite few.
Of course, Maddux is a member of any baseball elite you can think of, so I’m not sure why he gets this treatment. But that’s why I’ve always said: democracy is for suckers.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)