Dec 2, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
. . . know that, as of this writing, 29% of the fans in this ESPN poll would not vote for Greg Maddux this year. And 47% wouldn’t vote for Tom Glavine:
I saw some BBWAA members tweeting this around as evidence that maybe they don’t do so bad after all. And I suppose, on the whole, they don’t do this bad. But I do blame them for inserting the “but he’s not a first-ballot guy” into the minds of people. It’s a distinction that is utterly meaningless in the actual Hall of Fame, but for some reason it has been written about for years as some sort of special honor reserved for only an elite few.
Of course, Maddux is a member of any baseball elite you can think of, so I’m not sure why he gets this treatment. But that’s why I’ve always said: democracy is for suckers.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69