For those of you wanting a fan vote for the Hall of Fame . . .

Dec 2, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT

. . . know that, as of this writing, 29% of the fans in this ESPN poll would not vote for Greg Maddux this year. And 47% wouldn’t vote for Tom Glavine:

source:

I saw some BBWAA members tweeting this around as evidence that maybe they don’t do so bad after all. And I suppose, on the whole, they don’t do this bad. But I do blame them for inserting the “but he’s not a first-ballot guy” into the minds of people. It’s a distinction that is utterly meaningless in the actual Hall of Fame, but for some reason it has been written about for years as some sort of special honor reserved for only an elite few.

Of course, Maddux is a member of any baseball elite you can think of, so I’m not sure why he gets this treatment. But that’s why I’ve always said: democracy is for suckers.

1. spudchukar - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Yeah, give me a benevolent King anyday.

• lisaggamino - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM

my friend’s step-aunt makes 82 usd an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for six months but last month her paycheck was 20264 usd just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to website.//—-….xurl.es/plh7x

2. bobulated - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

5% voted “No” for Maddux? Are there still that many bitter Cubby fans?

• missingdiz - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

No, you’re forgetting that Maddux went back to Chicago near the end of his career. He was pitching for the Cubs the day of my pilgrimage to Wrigley. The fans loved him.

• bobulated - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

That’s right! Then who the heck are these 5% and how could they be so misguided?

• madhatternalice - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Those 5% are from the Yakuza.

Forgive me, I’ve already said too much.

3. xdj511 - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Well, if I really thought that only 5% of the people who respond to ESPN polls were insane, I’d sleep a little better at night.

• yahmule - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I think an argument can be made that 100% of the people who respond to ESPN polls have too much free time on their hands.

• dcfan4life - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Too much free time on their hands? Like blogging on hardballtalk isnt pretty much the same thing haha.

• bfunk1978 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM

It literally takes less time to respond to an ESPN poll than it does for me to respond to this inane comment.

• yahmule - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My work here is important, sir.

4. natstowngreg - Dec 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Perhaps, it shouldn’t matter, but it does. At its heart, the annual Hall of Fame elections (including the Veterans Committee election) are about more than just deciding who was great, and who was very good. They are also about who was the greatest, and who was not quite so great. The comparison is more than a player vs. some greatness standard (which is very, very subjective; thus, much pointless but often entertaining arguing).

It’s about the player’s place in the spectrum of greatness, and his place in the game’s history. Ex., should Maddux be elected the first time? Does he belong in the company of Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson and Bob Feller and Bob Gibson (just to pick a few off the top of my head)? Is Maddux more worthy than, say, Phil Niekro? [My own answers are "yes.]

We want to rank-order players, not just give them a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. It’s human nature. That’s where the length of time someone had to wait matters to a lot of fans. This is true in any type of Hall of Fame. Consider the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How often have you said to yourself, “self, [name of act] was great, they should have been elected a decade ago?” Or, “self, if [name of act] is in the Hall, why isn’t [name of other act]?

5. babyfarkmcgeezax - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Craig would be unanimously voted in on the first ballot to the hall of fame for schmucks who can’t find their popcorn and idiotically think their readers would know where it is.

6. karlkolchak - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM

On the plus side, 3% think Hideo Nomo IS a first ballot HOFamer. :)

7. billybawl - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Why would 24% of the public leave Maddux off? Because every fan has in mind who the greatest player of all time is, and if that guy wasn’t unanimous, than _____________ (fill in the blank) shouldn’t be unanimous either.

Now that I think of it, it’s a little odd that they release the vote %s at all. They don’t do that for Oscars or for the Pope. For inductees, the % should be irrelevant. For non-inductees who miss out, it has the strange effect of causing someone like Jack Morris go from 25% to 67% over successive ballots even though he hasn’t thrown a pitch in many years. My hunch is we’d have fewer inductees if it were handled by secret ballot.

• extavernmouse - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than who the Pope is!

8. cur68 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM

drunknatesilver says:

You can’t predict or generalize anything from one poll of a relatively small group of people. Also, if the BBWAA take comfort in the fact that they would do a better job than people who respond to polls on ESPN, then they are really gullible.

9. wpjohnson - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

the Hall needs to be a lot more exclusive but Maddux and Glavine are head and shoulders above most of the pitchers who have been inducted in recent years. Maddux rates with the absolute best. We aren’t talking about Jack Morris here.

10. bfunk1978 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Why can’t it be both? The BBWAA make some serious dud choices and fan votes are a moronic idea. ASG voting is totally homerish and I’m pretty sure fan voting for the HoF would be, too. Maddux spent the majority of his best years time playing against the modern-day (WC-era) NL East, if you consider that pre-WC era he also played in the NL East with the Cubs. There are most likely Mets and Philies fans that hate that guy.

There are also probably Mets fans that hate Glavine, too, but for a different reason.

• bigblue86 - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’m a Mets fan in my late 20s, I have a short list of players that I hate, but I truly believe that before you can hate somebody you have to respect them. As such I know guys like Maddux and Glavine belong in the hall and would vote for them and most Mets fans probably feel the same way.

• bfunk1978 - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I don’t think that’s true, with regards to having to respect someone before you can hate them.

11. tfbuckfutter - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

ESPN still has a website?

• gloccamorra - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Actually it’s more like headline news. They have a bunch of headlines, but if you want to read the stories, you have to subscribe to something called “insider”. Here’s the kicker: you can’t just sign up, they want you to PAY for their writers’ opinions!

12. bigblue86 - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The Hall of Fame is for the fans and we should have some sort of say as to who gets in. I agree though that a pure fan vote is a horrible idea because then you end up with votes like the ASG. However I have thought for a while that there should be a fan portion of the Hall of Fame voting that should be calculated to be approx 5-7% of the total vote. This way if you have some idiots in the BBWAA who vote based purely on personal feelings of a player the fans could have a countering effect to that.

13. schmedley69 - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The people who voted against them were probably just casual fans who only watched during the playoffs, when the Braves were pulling one of their famous choke-jobs.

14. gloccamorra - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM

After reading a rant on another site, I commented that if I, a longtime baseball fan, were asked by a MLB executive for advice, I’d advise him not to take any advice from baseball fans.

As for BBWAA (pronounced BIB-wah), their voting would get better results if they would only take the ballot away from “baseball” writers who now primarily cover figure skating and those other minor sports. There were only 226 ballots in 1936, when every decent-sized city had 3-5 newspapers and 2-3 radio stations. Why are there 572 voters today?

15. socalskinsfan21 - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

@lisaggamino does she have big tits?

16. rwlsports - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM

The 5% that said no on Maddux, they are idiots.

17. mvd513 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Maddux is probably top ten all time. Anyone who wouldnt vote for him should be dragged out of their homes over broken glass, beaten, stoned, and set on fire.

18. skids003 - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I didn’t realize 29% of the people out there were idiots. I had hoped less.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3763)