Dec 2, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
While there has been some conflicting information on the Mets’ interest in a meeting with right-hander Bronson Arroyo, general manager Sandy Alderson has another free agent on his radar.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Alderson had a meeting with Curtis Granderson yesterday. We heard about a month ago that the Mets had “preliminary interest” in the free agent outfielder, so this latest report would seem to indicate that they could be serious about making a run at signing him. Or at the very least, that they haven’t ruled out the possibility.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that Granderson wants a minimum of three years on his next contract. He is attached to draft pick compensation, but one possible advantage for the Mets is that they would only have to surrender their second-round pick in order to sign him.
The Mets already signed Chris Young to a one-year deal late last month, but they are said to still be on the lookout for other outfielders, preferably of the power-hitting variety. Granderson would satisfy both criteria. While the 32-year-old was limited to just 61 games this past season due to a pair of freak injuries, he amassed 84 home runs from 2011-2012. Granted, his age and strikeout rate are concerns and he would likely lose a few homers making the switch from Yankee Stadium to Citi Field, but he would give the Mets a legitimate power threat behind David Wright.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 4
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 38
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)