Dec 2, 2013, 7:33 PM EST
While there has been some conflicting information on the Mets’ interest in a meeting with right-hander Bronson Arroyo, general manager Sandy Alderson has another free agent on his radar.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that Alderson had a meeting with Curtis Granderson yesterday. We heard about a month ago that the Mets had “preliminary interest” in the free agent outfielder, so this latest report would seem to indicate that they could be serious about making a run at signing him. Or at the very least, that they haven’t ruled out the possibility.
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that Granderson wants a minimum of three years on his next contract. He is attached to draft pick compensation, but one possible advantage for the Mets is that they would only have to surrender their second-round pick in order to sign him.
The Mets already signed Chris Young to a one-year deal late last month, but they are said to still be on the lookout for other outfielders, preferably of the power-hitting variety. Granderson would satisfy both criteria. While the 32-year-old was limited to just 61 games this past season due to a pair of freak injuries, he amassed 84 home runs from 2011-2012. Granted, his age and strikeout rate are concerns and he would likely lose a few homers making the switch from Yankee Stadium to Citi Field, but he would give the Mets a legitimate power threat behind David Wright.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)