Dec 2, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
This is the first major payday for Stults, who has thrived since he was claimed off waivers from the White Sox in May of 2012, posting a 3.62 ERA over 47 starts and four relief appearances. The 33-year-old southpaw threw a career-high 203 2/3 innings this past season.
Stults is far from dominant, but he throws strikes and should do well enough as a backend starter as long as he calls PETCO Park home. As of now, he projects to enter 2014 with a rotation spot alongside Andrew Cashner, Josh Johnson, Ian Kennedy, and Tyson Ross, but that could change in the weeks ahead. Over the weekend, Bill Center of UT-San Diego speculated that the Padres could potentially deal Stults, Burch Smith, or Robbie Erlin to upgrade in other areas.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)