Dec 2, 2013, 10:57 PM EST
This is the first major payday for Stults, who has thrived since he was claimed off waivers from the White Sox in May of 2012, posting a 3.62 ERA over 47 starts and four relief appearances. The 33-year-old southpaw threw a career-high 203 2/3 innings this past season.
Stults is far from dominant, but he throws strikes and should do well enough as a backend starter as long as he calls PETCO Park home. As of now, he projects to enter 2014 with a rotation spot alongside Andrew Cashner, Josh Johnson, Ian Kennedy, and Tyson Ross, but that could change in the weeks ahead. Over the weekend, Bill Center of UT-San Diego speculated that the Padres could potentially deal Stults, Burch Smith, or Robbie Erlin to upgrade in other areas.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)