Dec 2, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract with the Blue Jays seemed to signal that 2013 starting catcher J.P. Arencibia was on his way out of Toronto and sure enough Shi Davidi of Sports Net reports that Arencibia will be non-tendered if they can’t find a trade before tonight’s deadline.
Arencibia has very impressive power for a catcher, homering 25 times per 150 games for his career, but he’s also a career .212 hitter with abysmal plate discipline and a laughable .258 on-base percentage. He’s not much of a defender either and in terms of all-around value Arencibia has been about as bad as someone can be homering 20-plus times.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 9
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 18
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)