Dec 2, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract with the Blue Jays seemed to signal that 2013 starting catcher J.P. Arencibia was on his way out of Toronto and sure enough Shi Davidi of Sports Net reports that Arencibia will be non-tendered if they can’t find a trade before tonight’s deadline.
Arencibia has very impressive power for a catcher, homering 25 times per 150 games for his career, but he’s also a career .212 hitter with abysmal plate discipline and a laughable .258 on-base percentage. He’s not much of a defender either and in terms of all-around value Arencibia has been about as bad as someone can be homering 20-plus times.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)