Dec 2, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract with the Blue Jays seemed to signal that 2013 starting catcher J.P. Arencibia was on his way out of Toronto and sure enough Shi Davidi of Sports Net reports that Arencibia will be non-tendered if they can’t find a trade before tonight’s deadline.
Arencibia has very impressive power for a catcher, homering 25 times per 150 games for his career, but he’s also a career .212 hitter with abysmal plate discipline and a laughable .258 on-base percentage. He’s not much of a defender either and in terms of all-around value Arencibia has been about as bad as someone can be homering 20-plus times.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 101
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 1
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 25
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (108)