Dec 2, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro agreeing to a two-year, $8 million contract with the Blue Jays seemed to signal that 2013 starting catcher J.P. Arencibia was on his way out of Toronto and sure enough Shi Davidi of Sports Net reports that Arencibia will be non-tendered if they can’t find a trade before tonight’s deadline.
Arencibia has very impressive power for a catcher, homering 25 times per 150 games for his career, but he’s also a career .212 hitter with abysmal plate discipline and a laughable .258 on-base percentage. He’s not much of a defender either and in terms of all-around value Arencibia has been about as bad as someone can be homering 20-plus times.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)