Dec 2, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
We have often seen Scott Boras take his sweet time in order to find the right deal for his clients, which makes the following report from ESPN’s Jayson Stark come as somewhat of a surprise.
Boras said back in October that he had received calls from 11 teams, but aside from some conflicting reports about the Mariners, we have heard very little about who might be involved in negotiations to sign Ellsbury. Many have speculated on the Cubs as a possible landing spot for the free agent center fielder, though it’s unclear whether they are actually in the mix.
Ellsbury, 30, batted .298/.355/.426 with 48 extra-base hits (nine home runs) and 53 RBI over 134 games this season while leading the majors with 52 stolen bases. Whether it happens at next week’s Winter Meetings or not, it’s safe to say that he will walk away with one of the biggest contracts this offseason.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)