Dec 2, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
We have often seen Scott Boras take his sweet time in order to find the right deal for his clients, which makes the following report from ESPN’s Jayson Stark come as somewhat of a surprise.
Scott Boras is rarely in a hurry but clubs are reporting Ellsbury talks are moving faster than expected. Winter-mettings deal not impossible—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 02, 2013
Boras said back in October that he had received calls from 11 teams, but aside from some conflicting reports about the Mariners, we have heard very little about who might be involved in negotiations to sign Ellsbury. Many have speculated on the Cubs as a possible landing spot for the free agent center fielder, though it’s unclear whether they are actually in the mix.
Ellsbury, 30, batted .298/.355/.426 with 48 extra-base hits (nine home runs) and 53 RBI over 134 games this season while leading the majors with 52 stolen bases. Whether it happens at next week’s Winter Meetings or not, it’s safe to say that he will walk away with one of the biggest contracts this offseason.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (199)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)