Dec 2, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
We have often seen Scott Boras take his sweet time in order to find the right deal for his clients, which makes the following report from ESPN’s Jayson Stark come as somewhat of a surprise.
Scott Boras is rarely in a hurry but clubs are reporting Ellsbury talks are moving faster than expected. Winter-mettings deal not impossible—
Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 02, 2013
Boras said back in October that he had received calls from 11 teams, but aside from some conflicting reports about the Mariners, we have heard very little about who might be involved in negotiations to sign Ellsbury. Many have speculated on the Cubs as a possible landing spot for the free agent center fielder, though it’s unclear whether they are actually in the mix.
Ellsbury, 30, batted .298/.355/.426 with 48 extra-base hits (nine home runs) and 53 RBI over 134 games this season while leading the majors with 52 stolen bases. Whether it happens at next week’s Winter Meetings or not, it’s safe to say that he will walk away with one of the biggest contracts this offseason.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)