Dec 2, 2013, 9:22 AM EDT
In the future, every Pirates catcher will have played for the Yankees the season before:
The Pirates are on the verge of acquiring catcher Chris Stewart from the Yankees.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 2, 2013
Stewart is superfluous now that the Yankees have signed Brian McCann. And he’s pretty bad even if they didn’t sign McCann, having hit .211/.293/.272 in over 300 plate appearances for New York last season. And that’s no aberration. It’s pretty much his career line in seven seasons in the majors.
Organizational depth for Pittsburgh, roster space for the Yankees and likely nothing of value going back to Gotham in exchange.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)