Dec 2, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
It was reported earlier today that the Yankees and Robinson Cano are “oceans apart” in contract negotiations. And just in case there was any doubt, Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports hears that the Yankees aren’t willing to budge from their current position.
Long baseball’s spending leviathan, the New York Yankees are adamant their stance in negotiations with the star second baseman is not pure posturing, sources told Yahoo Sports. Despite Cano’s request for a nine-year, $252 million deal in the parties’ last meeting, the Yankees do not believe Cano is worth the highest average annual value in the game and are sticking hard by a seven-year, $160 million offer that they tell executives and agents may have $15 million of wiggle room.
“They are not going to go to $200 million,” one executive familiar with the Yankees’ plans said. “Period.”
This sounds like posturing on the part of the Yankees, but until another team steps up as a legitimate threat to sign Cano, they have little reason to compromise on their valuation. As of now, the Mets are the only confirmed team to meet with Cano’s representatives, but they aren’t expected to pursue him. For what it’s worth, Passan hears from officials that the Nationals and Mariners might be the biggest threats. But until that happens, the Yankees appear content to wait him out. Hard to blame them, really.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)