Dec 2, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
It was reported yesterday that the Mets could have interest if Flowers was non-tendered before tonight’s 11:59 p.m. ET deadline, but the White Sox have rendered that possibility moot. The 27-year-old stumbled in his chance at the starting catcher job this year, hitting just 195 with 10 homers and a 94/14 K/BB ratio over 275 plate appearances. He lost playing time to Josh Phegley after the All-Star break and required season-ending surgery on his right shoulder in September. The expectation is that he’ll be fine for spring training, though he’ll likely have to accept a diminished role moving forward.
Flowers was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter as a Super Two player. He remains under team control though 2017.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)