Yankees, Cano “oceans apart”

Dec 2, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT

I’m taking the rest of the week off to take my kids to Disney World. There are downsides to this. For example, it means I have to go to Disney World, which really isn’t how I envisioned using the longest bit of vacation I’ve taken all year. But as Bernie said in “Miller’s Crossing,” well, you stick by your family.

The other downside? I was convinced that I was going to miss out on the biggest free agent signing of the year before I return to cover the Winter Meetings: Robinson Cano. From what we’re hearing today, however, that’s one thing I won’t have to worry much about:

Even if Cano’s $300M+ demand was a fantasy and he chopped, say, $75 million off of it, it’s still in A-Rod territory, and the Yankees can’t really be thinking of doing another A-Rod contract.

At this point it seems like Cano has to try to drum up interest from other bidders. Because there’s nothing out there to suggest that the Yankees are all that inclined to make a big move in his direction.

1. southofheaven81 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM

RCano asking for a huge salary irritates me way less than a bum like Phil Hughes making $8 million a year.

• pilonflats - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

hughes has a chance to be worth his paycheck, with cano and the numbers being discussed I doubt it…

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I would rather overpay for a great player than correctly value a mediocre one.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This reply is really to 18thst’s comment, “I would rather overpay for a great player than correctly value a mediocre one.” It comes down to how much of an overpay. If your team has the budget for it, then they can put together a WS caliber team with some overpays of great players whereas correctly paying a bunch of mediocre ones might get you 80-some wins, maybe a wildcard if you’re lucky. If they gave Cano 6 or 7 years at $25 million or so per year (total $150 to $175 million – near the $180 million figure that’s been written about)
        that would still be an overpay. The guy is very unlikely to be worth those dollars in what his age 37-38 years. That overpay might be worth it if they still get below the luxury tax cap. If not, it becomes a giant overpay. As a Yanks fan, I am hoping they have learned lessons, and as a hater of pig owners who take the luxury tax money but don’t improve their teams, I really want the Yanks to get under the cap.

• lisaggamino - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

my friend’s step-aunt makes 82 usd an hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for six months but last month her paycheck was 20264 usd just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to website………..xurl.es/plh7x

• bobwsc - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

step-aunt? so your friend’s divorced uncle’s new wife? cool.

does this ‘on-the-laptop’ job require doing weird naked stuff or is she in one of those broker-type positions that represents distressed wealthy people from overseas that need to park tons of coin in some lucky unsuspecting persons bank account?

• rje49 - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Tell you what, lisa. Why don’t you put in a few more hours of easy work yourself, really make big bucks, and keep it all for yourself? I mean, why share all the wealth will all us bozos who don’t deserve it as much as you do?

2. bringbackkosar - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

C’mon Craig, there are worse places to be in December than Florida…and there is a Disney Store in the Orlando airport just in case you didn’t manage to spend your last dime at the Magic Kingdom! They have your back

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I only spent one day at the Magic Kingdom with my kids — then five and three — and I had a great time. I really did.

Have fun, Craig.

• umrguy42 - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I gotta be honest, I’m hoping to take my son there say about 2 summers from now (when he’ll be 3), and maybe even do the trip with my parents as well (hey, grandparents to babysit so mom and dad can have a night out, heck yeah).

• 18thstreet - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM

It’s free for kids under 3 years old. We were lucky that our trip aligned with my son being 2.75 or so.

We never use a stroller for him, but we brought one to Disney. He got overstimulated and fell asleep at 11 am or so. It was great. He woke up for a character lunch with Winnie the Pooh (also free under age three!) and we made it until 3:00 or so.

• umrguy42 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Alas, he’ll be 3 in the spring and we won’t go until summer. But this upcoming summer just won’t work.

3. spudchukar - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Craig, my guess is your and your kids will have a blast. They are old enough to enjoy the night time activities which you too can joy. There are a lot of things that are worse than a visit to Mickey’s House. Go with it.

4. jcmeyer10 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Craig, you made the list of pundits weighing in on Deadspin buying a Hall of Fame Vote: http://deadspin.com/the-pundits-weigh-in-on-our-purchase-of-a-hall-of-fame-1475060860

Don’t know how else to reach you. You can delete this if you want.

5. Patrick R. - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

“Don’t smart me. See, I wanna watch you squirm. I wanna see you sweat a little. And when you smart me…it ruins it.” – Bernie Bernbaum

• tonyz6060chevy - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I thought Bernie was a real cop?

6. uyf1950 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Whether the difference between the 2 parties should be characterized as a river, sea or ocean I like that the Yankees are not letting what appears at this time to be an impasse stop them from going about their other business of contacting, negotiating and signing other players to fill obvious needs. That’s just my opinion.

7. johnnysoda - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Disney World is awesome, Craig.

8. babyfarkmcgeezax - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Craig leaving for vacation will instantly improve the quality of HardballTalk for the next week. I look forward to a week of HBT free of Craig’s hypocrisy, double standards, steroid/cheating support, faux outrage at racist logos, and badgering of his readers as to the whereabouts of his popcorn.

• pauleee - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Don’t you have some vacation time you could use about now?

• nbjays - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yeah, when are you giving the rest of us a break from your chronic Craig-hate obsession?

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

When is your mom going to give me a break… IN BED

• nbjays - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Oooooo, a “your mom” comment. Only the cool kids make those. Any doubts I had as to whether you were 12 years old have now been laid to rest.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Can the readers of this blog vote on what part of you she should break? I think the “front-runner” would win.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Dec 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

The only thing nbjays’ mom broke was a chair… after she sat on it

9. phillysports1 - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Please go to Toronto .

10. cackalackyank - Dec 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I am almost hoping this trend continues. I hope that the Yankees look beyond Cano and pick up the best alternative out there. From what I have read there are a few decent options out there that would also provide flexibility for what ever period A-rod is suspended or if Jeter is out. Cano Is very good player but I do not feel he is the best. The “ocean” in question is still reported to be in the $100 million dollar range, which still buys a whole lot of talent. I think Cano is making it really clear that being a career Yankee means nothing to him. The implication some commenters make that he is somehow being shafted by getting an offer of 22 million a year until he is 38 years old is absurd. Just because the organization made a trio of huge mistakes on the A-rod, Tex, and Sabathia deals does not mean that they should repeat, and perpetuate the trend with giving him over 25 million per until he is 40-41. I really think acceptable options can be had besides him for a lot less. The rotation needs to be shored up, other bats need to added, and the bullpen is just about empty. Cashman should not be waiting for the pixie dust to dissipate.

11. covvb0y - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If I’m a Yankee fan, which i’m not (Braves fan) I would much rather have 3 or 4 more the caliber of Brian McCann, including maybe an arm or two, than paying 300 million for one player. One day the new Yankee leadership will realize that the only they are only up against 3 or 4 teams that would be willing to overspend like that, typically, those teams don’t make the World Series.

• Kevin S. - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

One, there are not three or four more players the caliber of Brian McCann out there.

Two, Robinson Cano isn’t going to cost $300 million. Stop using that as the opportunity cost, people.

Three, even if there were three or four more McCann-caliber players on the market, and even if Cano really was going to cost $30 million/year, you couldn’t get all of them for the Cano money. You could get, at most, two. When you’re looking at budgets, you need to look at the AAV of the contracts, not the total value.

12. coltzfan166 - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Should say “All MLB franchises, Cano ‘oceans apart.'”

• 18thstreet - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I have a friend who has reason to know what the Nationals are up to. (I realize the brilliant readers have no reason to believe me, but that’s okay with me.) And let me say, as the guy who has been beating the drum in suggesting that the Nationals would make a good home for Cano, that I no longer believe it’s happening there or that it was ever a possibility.

So the only teams I can even imagine making a play for him anymore are the Orioles and Braves. My new guess? Five years, $100-ish million. There’s no one out there who’d top that offer. And there’s no reason for the Yankees to offer a sixth year.

• cackalackyank - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Which if I’m keeping score means Cano is looking for at least four more years than anyone will seemingly offer.

13. themagicfanguy - Dec 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I practically grew up inside Disney World and I can still have fun there, you must be some sort of monster Craig.

Get the Dole’s pineapple whip ice cream at the stand by The Tiki Room, better in the summer when it’s hot but still pretty amazing.

14. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Craig in Disney: turkey leg in hand, dark socks, sandals, bucket hat.

C’mon, make it so. Visual evidence or it didn’t happen, and I know it will. Tweet the selfie.

15. syphermce - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Well I guess it’s better then being “worlds apart”

16. bobwsc - Dec 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

wear a hat

17. gloccamorra - Dec 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Disney World is amazing. There’s no other place that has so many ways to Hoover cash out of your wallet, and make you like it! Charge everything on plastic so you can enjoy the trip, and you’ll be home cosseted in your support network of friends and relatives when you get the bill. As for Cano, imagine what playing in Petco or AT&T Park, for either of those 76-86 teams, would do to his stats and you’ll have a good idea what he’s REALLY worth.

18. allday420ap - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Really craig? Some of us dont get one vacation let alone a few in a year.

• allday420ap - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Although I agree disney is hell

19. rwlsports - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Ohhhhhhoohhhhhoohhhhh not good for the Yankees.

20. mvd513 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Still 5 yrs, 100 million.

21. stackers1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

“I’m praying to you Tom.”

22. dakotaandotter - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

@Craig Calcaterra, I assume your wife and kids don’t read your negative family comments. There are more important things in life than your career.

23. csbanter - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Brandon Phillips would be ideal replacement for Cano

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3297)