Dec 2, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
I’m taking the rest of the week off to take my kids to Disney World. There are downsides to this. For example, it means I have to go to Disney World, which really isn’t how I envisioned using the longest bit of vacation I’ve taken all year. But as Bernie said in “Miller’s Crossing,” well, you stick by your family.
The other downside? I was convinced that I was going to miss out on the biggest free agent signing of the year before I return to cover the Winter Meetings: Robinson Cano. From what we’re hearing today, however, that’s one thing I won’t have to worry much about:
No talks scheduled between Yankees and Cano camp. Source says two sides are “oceans apart,” leaving little to talk about right now.
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) December 2, 2013
Even if Cano’s $300M+ demand was a fantasy and he chopped, say, $75 million off of it, it’s still in A-Rod territory, and the Yankees can’t really be thinking of doing another A-Rod contract.
At this point it seems like Cano has to try to drum up interest from other bidders. Because there’s nothing out there to suggest that the Yankees are all that inclined to make a big move in his direction.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)