Dec 2, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
I’m taking the rest of the week off to take my kids to Disney World. There are downsides to this. For example, it means I have to go to Disney World, which really isn’t how I envisioned using the longest bit of vacation I’ve taken all year. But as Bernie said in “Miller’s Crossing,” well, you stick by your family.
The other downside? I was convinced that I was going to miss out on the biggest free agent signing of the year before I return to cover the Winter Meetings: Robinson Cano. From what we’re hearing today, however, that’s one thing I won’t have to worry much about:
No talks scheduled between Yankees and Cano camp. Source says two sides are “oceans apart,” leaving little to talk about right now.
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) December 2, 2013
Even if Cano’s $300M+ demand was a fantasy and he chopped, say, $75 million off of it, it’s still in A-Rod territory, and the Yankees can’t really be thinking of doing another A-Rod contract.
At this point it seems like Cano has to try to drum up interest from other bidders. Because there’s nothing out there to suggest that the Yankees are all that inclined to make a big move in his direction.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)