Dec 3, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Not afraid to trade within the division the A’s and Rangers have agreed to a deal that sends 30-year-old center fielder Craig Gentry to Oakland and outfield prospect Michael Choice to Texas, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com.
Gentry is incredibly fast and a fantastic defensive center fielder with a .280 batting average and .355 on-base percentage in 323 career games, although those totals likely overstate his offensive ability because he’s typically been platooned a lot.
Choice was the 10th overall pick in the 2010 draft, ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect coming into this year, and hit .302 with 14 homers and an .835 OPS in 132 games at Triple-A as a 23-year-old.
Between this deal and adding a $10 million closer in Jim Johnson the A’s are clearly in win-now mode.
UPDATE: Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the A’s will also get right-hander Josh Lindblom and the Rangers will also get minor league infielder Chris Bostick.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)