Dec 3, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
As of last week Brian Wilson was said to be in “serious” talks with Detroit, but now that the Tigers are on the verge of signing Joe Nathan as their new closer Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wilson is nearing a return to the Dodgers.
Wilson was fantastic down the stretch as a setup man for the Dodgers, throwing 20 innings with a 0.45 ERA and 21/6 K/BB ratio combined in the regular season and playoffs. And after missing nearly all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery he averaged 93.2 miles per hour with his fastball.
Prior to the surgery Wilson put together a four-year run as the Giants’ closer in which he saved 163 games with a 3.00 ERA and 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 34
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)