Dec 3, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
That’s what ESPN’s Buster Olney is hearing from opposing teams …
Other teams becoming convinced that Carlos Beltran is going to land with the Royals, on a deal of 3/$48 million.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 3, 2013
Other reporters have confirmed that there is indeed a three-year, $48 million contract offer on the table to Beltran. And if the Royals made it, they’re almost certain to win the bidding for the veteran outfielder.
Beltran proved to be a major steal for the Cardinals on a two-year, $26 million pact that was signed before the start of the 2012 season. A three-year, $48 million deal that covers Beltran’s age 37, 38 and 39 seasons seems much more likely to fall flat, though Kansas City will have the luxury of using him at DH.
Beltran was drafted by the Royals in 1995 and spent the first seven years of his career with the team.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)