Dec 3, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
That’s what ESPN’s Buster Olney is hearing from opposing teams …
Other teams becoming convinced that Carlos Beltran is going to land with the Royals, on a deal of 3/$48 million.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 3, 2013
Other reporters have confirmed that there is indeed a three-year, $48 million contract offer on the table to Beltran. And if the Royals made it, they’re almost certain to win the bidding for the veteran outfielder.
Beltran proved to be a major steal for the Cardinals on a two-year, $26 million pact that was signed before the start of the 2012 season. A three-year, $48 million deal that covers Beltran’s age 37, 38 and 39 seasons seems much more likely to fall flat, though Kansas City will have the luxury of using him at DH.
Beltran was drafted by the Royals in 1995 and spent the first seven years of his career with the team.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)