Dec 3, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
It appears that everything turned out OK for the Giants prospects injured in Tuesday’s crash. According to Andrew Baggarly, all five players hospitalized have already been released. They were: LHP Bryce Bandilla, LHP Adalberto Mejia, RHP Daniel Slania, RHP Jeff Soptic and INF Kebly Tomlinson.
The names aren’t yet known, but a van carrying 11 Giants prospects was involved in an accident in Scottsdale, Arizona on Tuesday morning, sending five people to the hospital, CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly has confirmed.
The van was pulling out of a team hotel on Scottsdale Road when its front and left side was struck by a Kia Sedan. The AP reported that one of the players is believed to be in critical condition. However, Baggarly says it’s his current understanding that none of the injuries are life-threatening.
The San Francisco Chronicle’s Hank Schulman reports that the Giants’ van driver was cited by police.
A Giants spokesperson was unable to comment on the accident as of yet.
According to Baggarly, the minor leaguers were in Scottsdale for a three-week conditioning camp. Included in the group — but not necessarily involved in today’s crash — were top prospects Kyle Crick, Chris Stratton and Derek Law.
1:45 p.m. EST update: Crick, the Giants’ best pitching prospect, tweeted that he wasn’t involved in the accident.
Hope all my fellow mini giants are safe and recovering, looks like everyone is going to be okay.
— Kyle Crick (@K_Crick49) December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)