Dec 3, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Smith put up some big numbers in Colorado early in his career, but hit just .246 with a .738 OPS in 242 games for Oakland during the past two seasons. It’s unclear exactly what Smith’s role will be in San Diego, although he’s best suited to be a platoon corner outfielder versus right-handed pitching.
Gregerson has posted consistently excellent numbers as a setup man for the Padres, including a sub-3.00 ERA in each of the past three seasons and a career strikeout rate of 9.1 per nine innings. However, much like Smith’s numbers were once helped by Coors Field, his career ERA away from pitcher-friendly Petco Park is 3.85.
Billy Beane is on a trade-making tear, including adding Jim Johnson and Gregerson to a bullpen that already had plenty of late-inning options (Ryan Cook, Sean Doolittle) even after losing Grant Balfour to free agency.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)