Dec 3, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Smith put up some big numbers in Colorado early in his career, but hit just .246 with a .738 OPS in 242 games for Oakland during the past two seasons. It’s unclear exactly what Smith’s role will be in San Diego, although he’s best suited to be a platoon corner outfielder versus right-handed pitching.
Gregerson has posted consistently excellent numbers as a setup man for the Padres, including a sub-3.00 ERA in each of the past three seasons and a career strikeout rate of 9.1 per nine innings. However, much like Smith’s numbers were once helped by Coors Field, his career ERA away from pitcher-friendly Petco Park is 3.85.
Billy Beane is on a trade-making tear, including adding Jim Johnson and Gregerson to a bullpen that already had plenty of late-inning options (Ryan Cook, Sean Doolittle) even after losing Grant Balfour to free agency.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)