Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Texas quickly re-signed Geovany Soto knowing that A.J. Pierzynski was likely a goner via free agency and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are targeting Kurt Suzuki to pair with Soto behind the plate.
Soto and Suzuki are both right-handed hitters, so it’s not an ideal pairing, but Suzuki has always had a very good pitcher-handling/clubhouse reputation and accepted a limited role with the Nationals this year after previously being a regular for the A’s.
Suzuki is a career .253 hitter with a .685 OPS, including four straight seasons below .700 following a promising first few years in Oakland.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (162)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)