Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Texas quickly re-signed Geovany Soto knowing that A.J. Pierzynski was likely a goner via free agency and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are targeting Kurt Suzuki to pair with Soto behind the plate.
Soto and Suzuki are both right-handed hitters, so it’s not an ideal pairing, but Suzuki has always had a very good pitcher-handling/clubhouse reputation and accepted a limited role with the Nationals this year after previously being a regular for the A’s.
Suzuki is a career .253 hitter with a .685 OPS, including four straight seasons below .700 following a promising first few years in Oakland.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)