Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
Texas quickly re-signed Geovany Soto knowing that A.J. Pierzynski was likely a goner via free agency and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are targeting Kurt Suzuki to pair with Soto behind the plate.
Soto and Suzuki are both right-handed hitters, so it’s not an ideal pairing, but Suzuki has always had a very good pitcher-handling/clubhouse reputation and accepted a limited role with the Nationals this year after previously being a regular for the A’s.
Suzuki is a career .253 hitter with a .685 OPS, including four straight seasons below .700 following a promising first few years in Oakland.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)