Dec 3, 2013, 10:17 AM EST
Texas quickly re-signed Geovany Soto knowing that A.J. Pierzynski was likely a goner via free agency and now T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the Rangers are targeting Kurt Suzuki to pair with Soto behind the plate.
Soto and Suzuki are both right-handed hitters, so it’s not an ideal pairing, but Suzuki has always had a very good pitcher-handling/clubhouse reputation and accepted a limited role with the Nationals this year after previously being a regular for the A’s.
Suzuki is a career .253 hitter with a .685 OPS, including four straight seasons below .700 following a promising first few years in Oakland.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)