Report: Mariners are “a major player” for Robinson Cano

Dec 3, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT

Robinson Cano Getty Images

In what is surely coincidental timing following reports that the Yankees won’t go to $200 million in their offer to Robinson Cano, now Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York reports that the Mariners “have emerged as a major player” for the free agent second baseman.

Matthews goes on to quote his source as saying that “it doesn’t look too good right now” for Cano’s chances of remaining in New York.

Going all the way back to the early reports of Cano wanting more than $300 million it’s been hard to keep track of the various rumors and speculation as they change daily, but for now at least there’s another potential landing spot being floated.

1. number42is1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

• number42is1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

*catches breath*

• number42is1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHaHAHAHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

• fanofevilempire - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

STOP IT!
        HE WON’T SIGN THERE, RIGHT?
        THEY DO HAVE KING FELIX.

• southofheaven81 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I’m as huge a Yankees fan as you’ll ever find, but part of me hopes this is true just so we can watch everyones’ heads explode.

2. thisdamnbox - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Not a chance Cano heads to Seattle. It’s where FAs go to die…

• rollinghighwayblues - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Chone, is that you?

Seriously, what happened to that guy?

• thisdamnbox - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

No, it’s not Chone. Merely a collective statement by Scott Spiezio, Greg Hibbard, Carl Everett, Carlos Silva, Richie Sexson, Dennis Martinez, Jarrod Washburn, Mike “Tiny” Felder, Rich Aurilia, Jeff Weaver & Brad Wilkerson as prepared by T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

(Note: Jeff Cirillo told us to leave him out since he was ‘traded’ there, and Adrian Beltre abstained because “No fui yo, fueron ellos! Mira lo bien que me quedé tan pronto como me fui de Seattle?”)

• miketreedy - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Not like Cano will be a free agent ever again. So why should he care if this causes his power number to decrease. That said the Mariners will have to blow the Yankees out of the water with $$$ for Cano to land in Seattle.

• 18thstreet - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Agreed. He’ll go with whatever team offers him the most money. That’s almost surely going to be the Yankees. But I don’t see why it’s laughable to think someone else also has a lot of money and recognizes that he’s the best talent on the free agent market.

3. m3dman3 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Hahaha let Jay Z ruin your career Cano. Moron.

• alexo0 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Space Needle State of Mind?

4. papacrick - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Mariners will be used as leverage like they always are. Nothing to see here

• thebadguyswon - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Yeah really. As if anyone believes this.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I don’t know. When I think money, I think Mariners.

• losangelesfan - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Go make a sandwich

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Oh, is Big Papi batting?

5. bigharold - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

A page out of the Scott Boras play book. Somehow, Scott makes it more believable.

I’d like to see Cano stay with the Yankees but frankly if he can wrangle $200 mil out of the Mariners, or anybody else for that matter, .. Hail and Farewell!

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I concur. Stand your ground, Yankees. If it wasn’t meant to be, then it wasn’t meant to be.

• pisano - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

@ monkey41…..I agree with you and harold, as a matter of fact I hope he does sign with someone else, I’m tired of Cano and his drug dealing agent.

• eshine76 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM

The only difference with Boras is you knew his client was going to the highest bidder, regardless of the city. With Cano, he wants to stay or else he wouldn’t have fired Boras. Its tough to have it both ways when no other organizations are bidding.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM

@ Bigharold and deathmonkey, I concur 100%. Then the Yankees can get to the business of moving on. Go after Infante for 2nd, Uribe for 3rd base and then sign either Choo or re-Granderson all for just a little more money on an AAV then what Cano is looking for.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Gezundtheit.

• pisano - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

uyf1950… I like it. It’s time to move on!

• Professor Longnose - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Hey, uyf1950, long time no see on the IIATMS site. How are you?

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Professor, I’m good thank you. How are you? I really like this site during the off season the blogs, the variety of comments from all sorts of fans make for some good conversation.

• Professor Longnose - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I’m OK. I actually do most of my baseball commenting on Twitter these days (@ProfLongnose). I use to comment here a while back, when it was named Around the Bases, but lately the sneering over the PEDs argument has gotten to me. But I’ll be around. If you’re here, that’s a good reason in itself.

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Professor , I’ll be here. there are several really good Yankees fans here. I won’t name them because I’m sure I’ll miss someone and I don’t want to do that.

There is the occasional sarcasm from non Yankees fans but it’s really the exception not the rule.

Talk to you later, take care.

6. southofheaven81 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Yes, because not running out a routine grounder is the ultimate measure of a ballplayer’s worth. Grrrrrrrit!!!

7. phillysports1 - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Sign with Toronto .

• proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM

The Jays will not go beyond 5 years.

• bigharold - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I thought the Jays wouldn’t go beyond $250 mil/9 yrs??

My be it the currency exchange rate and the metric system that is causing the confusion.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM

The Jays have never gone beyond 5 years since AA took over. He is sticking to that policy. It also appears that recently, the Red Sox do not want to go beyond 3 years.

8. losangelesfan - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Baseball Siberia

• sdelmonte - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Believe me, no ballplayer is in Seattle because of the Mariners – Sam Malone

9. proudlycanadian - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM

There is always a Mystery Team!

• uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

True and for some reason if the Mariners are the mystery team here they are going to screw themselves more then the Angels did by being the mystery team in the Pujols deal.

10. steelers88 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

This might be a bit off topic but I’m kinda surprised that the Pirates haven’t really signed anyone big. I know their a small market team but they made the Playoffs last year and I would think they would attract bigger free agents. In my opinion the Pirates are a couple players away from contending for a championship.

11. losangelesfan - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Don’t count the Angels out. This is a total Arte Moreno move. $250 mil for 10 years oughta do it.

12. uyf1950 - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

So far in the last 24 hours I have read the rumors about how the Mariners are in on Beltran they are talking to the Dodgers about a trade for Kemp and now they are a major player for Cano. That’s just in the last 24 hours.

Two things I want to say.
    1st) Rumor(s) are defined as: “a statement or report current without known authority for its truth”.
    2nd) Seattle is where free agents and near free agents get away from, those with any sense do not go there to enhance their careers.

Now that’s not to say that at some point one of these players won’t make Seattle their next home but Mariner history tells us that’s very unlikely,

13. sdelmonte - Dec 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Meanwhile in Orlando, a certain blogger and father of two is praying very hard to the gods of baseball to keep Robby from making a decision till next week.

And his kids are trying really hard to get him to stop refreshing the page, and hoping that the reception in Space Mountain is bad.

• historiophiliac - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That’s probably what’s upsetting his stomach.

(Secretly, I do kinda hope he barfs.)

14. maikoch - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Cano can go to the Mariners and spend the next eight years, having no chance to win a World Series. Or, he can stay with the Yankees for eight more years, and have no chance to win a World Series.

• maikoch - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

To all the Yankees fans giving thumbs down: The truth hurts, doesn’t it?

15. gibbskins9 - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM

See ya Robbie

16. thepoolshark - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM

True, but will Jay-Z fly to Seattle to give him another $30,000 watch, or engagement ring, or whatever it was?

I would not be surprised if Detroit..despite Kinsler, who they could move to 3rd or LF, makes a Fielder-like swoop or even Moreno, who didn’t learn with Pujols and probably not with Hamilton either. No Dodgers or Rangers, and the Mariners would have to offer when the Rangers did to get Arod to sign there. Not impossible, but highly unlikely IMO

17. mtr75 - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The only question is, was the source Jay-Z or his other agent? This is clearly orchestrated by Cano’s people.

18. jwbiii - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Why would the Mariners want Cano? They just signed Willie Bloomquist!

19. cackalackyank - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

So the Mariners would have Felix, Cano and the local high school teams rejects. Great Career move! Suits the no hustle mentality. Make a ton of money…no stressful performance requirements. No interest in a legacy, just $ signs.

20. Julian Bravo - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I’m a Mariners season ticket holder and even in my wildest dreams I have a hard time believing this could happen for a second. Sadly we sign the Bloomquists of the world while the Yankees and Red Sox get the Canos. We’ve been linked with nearly every major free agent but we’ll most likely just rely on our farm system again.

21. jolink653 - Dec 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM

At the end of the day, it depends on how badly he wants to be a Yankee. He can take $175 million for seven years from the Yankees, or he can take an extra $2 to $3 million a year to go play for Seattle, where he may never even sniff the playoffs for the duration of his deal. I think Jay-Z is in way over his head with this deal and I can see this all going badly for him

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet