Report: Marlins recently made offer to Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Dec 3, 2013, 12:09 AM EST

Jarrod Saltalamacchia AP

The Marlins have mostly been connected to marginal free agents so far this offseason, but they have one notable name on their wish list.

According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Marlins recently made an offer to free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The specifics aren’t known, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald confirms that the Marlins are in the mix along with the Twins and Red Sox and hears that a decision could come down as soon as the early part of this week.

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Red Sox offered a two-year deal to Saltalamacchia, but it’s apparently not good enough. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe now hears from two sources that it’s “unlikely” he’ll be back with Boston next season. It’s hard to imagine the Marlins outbidding the Red Sox, so this latest development would seem to bode well for the Twins. The Marlins may ultimately be a better fit for J.P. Arencibia, who was non-tendered by the Blue Jays this evening.

1. tfbuckfutter - Dec 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Silly Marlins.

They got confused and thought he was a 160lb utility infielder.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Right, because the Marlins have never signed any marquee free agents. You strike me as someone who is stupid and tries to be funny but then looks more stupid

• Reflex - Dec 3, 2013 at 3:03 AM

…well they certainly haven’t kept them when they have….

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Name all the high priced free agents currently with the Feesh, jimmythemarlinsfool.

Feel free to include the ones part of whose salary they’re still paying. Slobbering Ozzie counts..

Don’t count Arencibia yet, though.

• ryanrockzzz - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

well if you consider an average catcher marquee….

• stex52 - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

A little sensitive, are we, Jimmy? Here’s some useful advice. Learn to laugh at your own team when they do stupid things. You can get your panties all in a wad and call people names, but what does that get you?

Be a fan. But remember it’s just a game.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Jimmy isn’t sensitive. He’s dumb. But tha

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Jimmy isn’t sensitive. He’s dumb, cont’d.

But that’s OK. If this isn’t the season to express some genuine Christian compassionate indulgence, what is?

• bizzmoneyb - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I see David Samson aka Jimmy is posting here again. anyone that defends this team is either related to Loria or works for the team.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

You are well intentioned but you nevertheless demonstrate the logical fallacy of all conspiracy theorists: you sense gratuitously complicated, surreptitious and nefarious doings when mere stupidity would be a sufficient explanation.

2. blynch67 - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I think this actually hurts his leverage, lol.

“Really? The Marlins are our competition? And you’re really thinking of going there, unless we cough up big $$$? HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!”

• jimmymarlinsfan - Dec 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

See above comment.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM

It is pretty funny to think that someone might be dumb enough to turn down money from the World Champions on Olympus to go play – for a while, anyway (or as long as it takes to convince some clowns in the peanut gallery to renew the multi-season ticket packages into which they were conned by those deceptive signings two years ago and from which they have just been freed) – for the Innsmouth horrors in the basement.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Does that make Loria a Cthulhu disciple of some kind?

• stex52 - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Nah, Loria is an art dealer. Cthulu recoils in abject horror from the evil in Jeffy’s soul.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM

As I recall it was Dagon who was the main Ancient Old One behind the Innsmouth Tea Party chapter (pardon the casual puns and slights at Massachusetts local lore). Or maybe I’m just confusing the story (which I read when I was twelve or some such thing) with the awful Spanish movie version.

I think, though, that it’s entirely possible Scrooge McLoria actually axed Slobbering Ozzie and Larry Beinfest when their gill slits became too difficult to conceal behind the Feesh’s grooming policies.

• stex52 - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I struggle somewhat with remembering the universe of Lovecraft creatures, since I last read his books in my late teens. That would mean Nixon was still President.

So I respond to Lovecraft references with vague witticisms that try to indicate I am still on top of things.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I need to brush up on my Lovecraft. The good thing about e-books nowadays is that all the classics are publicly available in a much more portable form. No need to actually go to the local library.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I have to stay current on the Lovecraft mystique. One of my sons is a synthesizer wizard who composes ambient soundtracks – Return of the Living Dead was one of his projects – and he’s also a terrific graphic artist who used to hand-make very spookily leatherbound Necronomicons he calligraphed and illustrated himself. They sold for hundreds of dollars apeice but he finally got bored with doing them one at a time.

Now, he periodically invites me along to the annual gala horror and fantasy convention in Portland, OR where I get caught up on this stuff (and there’s a nonpareil waffle cafe up the street from the theater where they hold this fiasco, too). I also eat a lot of Chthulhu crabs while I’m out there (it’s easier to spell that than it is to pronounce “Dungeness”). And my daughter took a summer program at Brown University. Her dorm was in a house once owned by Lovecraft himself. She still hears groans from behind the walls at night, though I suspect that’s just her hot Latina neighbor getting drilled. Me and HP, we’re karmically linked (HP Lovecraft, I mean – I would hate to be karmically linked to an all-in-one printer with a congenitally defective paper feed).

3. theskinsman - Dec 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM

I’m hoping that Boston brings him back. His work with the pitching staff is underrated.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Don’t worry about the Feesh, at any rate. The offer to Saltalamacchia was tinsel. They’re really saving up all their new season ticket sales for a run at Robinson Cano. They need a big bat to protect Tweeter in the lineup.

• theskinsman - Dec 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I would be tickled pink if the Marlins actually just made Cano an offer. Just to make it look like they were trying.

4. bizzmoneyb - Dec 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

hope he’s really impressed with that 1 year, $1 million dollar offer.

• Old Gator - Dec 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Heavily backloaded, no less.

5. rugbyfanfla - Dec 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Well he is actually signed to a 3 year, $ 21 million deal. Of course there is no, no-trade clause, which means at anytime, and that could occur before the season starts, Loria can trade him for more minor leaguers that make zero $.

Stay tuned, your team may get Salty afterall.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester