Dec 3, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
The Marlins have mostly been connected to marginal free agents so far this offseason, but they have one notable name on their wish list.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Marlins recently made an offer to free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The specifics aren’t known, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald confirms that the Marlins are in the mix along with the Twins and Red Sox and hears that a decision could come down as soon as the early part of this week.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Red Sox offered a two-year deal to Saltalamacchia, but it’s apparently not good enough. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe now hears from two sources that it’s “unlikely” he’ll be back with Boston next season. It’s hard to imagine the Marlins outbidding the Red Sox, so this latest development would seem to bode well for the Twins. The Marlins may ultimately be a better fit for J.P. Arencibia, who was non-tendered by the Blue Jays this evening.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)