Dec 3, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
The Marlins have mostly been connected to marginal free agents so far this offseason, but they have one notable name on their wish list.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Marlins recently made an offer to free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The specifics aren’t known, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald confirms that the Marlins are in the mix along with the Twins and Red Sox and hears that a decision could come down as soon as the early part of this week.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Red Sox offered a two-year deal to Saltalamacchia, but it’s apparently not good enough. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe now hears from two sources that it’s “unlikely” he’ll be back with Boston next season. It’s hard to imagine the Marlins outbidding the Red Sox, so this latest development would seem to bode well for the Twins. The Marlins may ultimately be a better fit for J.P. Arencibia, who was non-tendered by the Blue Jays this evening.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)