Dec 3, 2013, 12:09 AM EDT
The Marlins have mostly been connected to marginal free agents so far this offseason, but they have one notable name on their wish list.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the Marlins recently made an offer to free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The specifics aren’t known, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald confirms that the Marlins are in the mix along with the Twins and Red Sox and hears that a decision could come down as soon as the early part of this week.
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported last week that the Red Sox offered a two-year deal to Saltalamacchia, but it’s apparently not good enough. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe now hears from two sources that it’s “unlikely” he’ll be back with Boston next season. It’s hard to imagine the Marlins outbidding the Red Sox, so this latest development would seem to bode well for the Twins. The Marlins may ultimately be a better fit for J.P. Arencibia, who was non-tendered by the Blue Jays this evening.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)