Dec 3, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
That would be a huge step to addressing the Tigers’ bullpen issues, as Nathan is coming off a season in which he saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings for the Rangers. Overall in two seasons with Texas he posted a 2.09 ERA and Nathan previously had a 2.16 ERA during seven years in Minnesota.
Last month Nathan declined his $9 million player option with the Rangers to hit the open market in search of a two- or three-year deal. Certainly any 39-year-old pitcher is a risk on what will presumably be a multi-year contract, but Nathan has shown absolutely zero signs of slowing down and has been one of the elite closers in baseball for a decade now.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 72
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 26
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)