Cubs ink lefty Wesley Wright to $1.425 million deal

Dec 4, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT

A bullpen pickup for the Cubs, via USA Today‘s Bob Nightengale …

Wright had a 3.69 ERA and 55/19 K/BB ratio in 53 2/3 innings this summer between the Astros and Rays. For his career, the 28-year-old southpaw has held left-handed batters to a .231 average and .655 OPS.

1. tfbuckfutter - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

If I know Theo, and I assure you I do, he can’t possibly live with this guy’s bat going to waste as a pitcher.

You’re looking at your new regular first baseman or corner outfielder Cubbie fans.

• hittfamily - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Well he’s black, so Tim McCarver and Joe Buck think he’s fast enough to be the Cub’s new CF. They wouldn’t stop talking about what a threat Xander Boegarts was on the bases during this postseason. The thing is…..Xander’s pretty slow.

• dcarroll73 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I just feel there is a Dick Gregory joke lurking in there somewhere.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Maybe they just viewed him as a threat to steal….anything.

2. phillysports1 - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I’m a phillies fan going to my first cubs game next summer ! Always wanted to go to wrigley field see ya Wes

3. Chris K - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Am I missing something here? But looking at his K:BB ratios and ERA for the past few years, I’m seeing a reliever that should command much more than $1.75 million.

• hittfamily - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

When I saw the Rays non tendered him instead of paying him the estimated 1.2 mil, I thought it was a mistake as well.

• jkaflagg - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Showed flashes of talent with the Astros, but never quite mastered his command enough to be considered a reliable pitcher……also was a lefty who didn’t get left-handed hitters out with consistency. Rays have made a cottage industry of rehabbing other teams discarded relievers, so that the fact that they didn’t want to make the nominal investment needed to keep him may be revealing. A move back to the NL was probably in his best interest.

• hittfamily - Dec 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I’d rather have Wesley and 3.8 mil than Heath Bar Crunch.

• stex52 - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I basically agree with you, jka. He was originally a Rule 5 pickup and a real bargain for that. Always flirted with being a back-of-the-rotation starter but never quite found his consistency. The ratios and ERA are a bit deceptive because he really functioned as a left-handed specialist. If he stayed for more than a couple of outs against righties you had a much more mixed bag. When you look at the WHIP and the innings pitched you get a little more complete picture. He is a specialist, typically in for about 2/3 of an inning.

Even so, I thought the Astros might give him another whirl.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5517)