Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the inside info:
The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.
Passan lists the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as teams that would have interest in pulling off a trade — one that would require a return package of multiple top prospects or established major leaguers.
Price, 28, is under contract for the next two seasons. The Rays are shopping him this winter because they can’t afford to sign him to a long-term extension and because he’ll draw a better return now than he will in a year. Price is also getting expensive in arbitration, having earned a $10.1 million salary in 2013.
Price owns a 3.19 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 through his first 973 major league innings.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)