Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the inside info:
The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.
Passan lists the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as teams that would have interest in pulling off a trade — one that would require a return package of multiple top prospects or established major leaguers.
Price, 28, is under contract for the next two seasons. The Rays are shopping him this winter because they can’t afford to sign him to a long-term extension and because he’ll draw a better return now than he will in a year. Price is also getting expensive in arbitration, having earned a $10.1 million salary in 2013.
Price owns a 3.19 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 through his first 973 major league innings.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)