Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the inside info:
The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.
Passan lists the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as teams that would have interest in pulling off a trade — one that would require a return package of multiple top prospects or established major leaguers.
Price, 28, is under contract for the next two seasons. The Rays are shopping him this winter because they can’t afford to sign him to a long-term extension and because he’ll draw a better return now than he will in a year. Price is also getting expensive in arbitration, having earned a $10.1 million salary in 2013.
Price owns a 3.19 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 through his first 973 major league innings.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)