Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the inside info:
The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.
Passan lists the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as teams that would have interest in pulling off a trade — one that would require a return package of multiple top prospects or established major leaguers.
Price, 28, is under contract for the next two seasons. The Rays are shopping him this winter because they can’t afford to sign him to a long-term extension and because he’ll draw a better return now than he will in a year. Price is also getting expensive in arbitration, having earned a $10.1 million salary in 2013.
Price owns a 3.19 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 through his first 973 major league innings.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8