Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has the inside info:
The David Price sweepstakes is expected to heat up later this week, multiple executives with interest in the left-handed ace told Yahoo Sports, as the Tampa Bay Rays begin to survey the market for the former Cy Young winner and consider whether to trade him.
Passan lists the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays as teams that would have interest in pulling off a trade — one that would require a return package of multiple top prospects or established major leaguers.
Price, 28, is under contract for the next two seasons. The Rays are shopping him this winter because they can’t afford to sign him to a long-term extension and because he’ll draw a better return now than he will in a year. Price is also getting expensive in arbitration, having earned a $10.1 million salary in 2013.
Price owns a 3.19 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 8.1 K/9 through his first 973 major league innings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)